• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scutter

New Kit
I looked out the window at lunch time to see some fur in my rabbits run, then I saw a pink thing move. I ran out to discover that my female rabbit had give birth to one kitten and left it outside in the cold. I seperated the male rabbit, but the Mother won't take to the baby!
I called the RSPCA, but they said that they didn't know anything about rabbits?

Shud the baby be suckling? We moved it inside the great big Wendy house which they live in and made a nest with Mother's fur and bedding.

I got the male from an rescue place who insisted that the male had been "done". I can't wait for them to open 2morrow and give them an earfull!!!

PLEASE HELP ME, WHAT CAN I DO ???????????

have you tried ringing your local vets for guidance. Is there home quite big? if so rabbits don't like to feel threatened and big spaces when looking after their babies, so a smaller area maybe more suitable.

how do you know the mother wont except it, have you touched it with your bare hands!?

you need to rub your hands over the doe and in here litter tray to get your sent of the kit and hers on, if she wont except the baby personally i dont think there is alot you can do, you can hand rear with kittem milk (i think) but the chances of it surviving are very low!

i would definately get in touch with the rescue, do you know when he was done? if it was resent then they need to be on there own for 6 weeks after the op so they are clear! but they should have told you that!

good luck!

eve x

Thanks for your reply.

We moved the kitten by putting on rubber gloves and moving it onto a spade with fresh saw dust, e then placed it carefully inside thee house. Mother still comes for fuss, but I don't think she has noticed or acknowledged the kitten?

We gave her some more food and she seems to be more interested in that!

The rescue place didn't tel me anything likt that!

The were frisky when they were introduced and I called the rescue place for reassurance. He told me not to worry !!!! :roll:

scutter said:
The rescue place didn't tel me anything likt that!

The were frisky when they were introduced and I called the rescue place for reassurance. He told me not to worry !!!! :roll:

rabbits only feed there young at night! has she made a nest did you say? how many kits are there, have you now put that kit in the nest, she may have delievred it whilst running out side, (they cant pick there young up) if she made a nest you may have a good chance of her expecting it, if she does throw it out again, then i am afraid she may not feel up to feeding them all or may have rejected it for another reason! i would not attempt to put it back again after that!

eve x

eve x

Hi.

There was an attempt to make a nest I think?
There was just a lot of her fur, which is what made me look in the first place.

My set up is like yours, they have a kids wooden Wendy house and a run fixed to it. She had just 1 kitten and it was laying on a cold slab. We moved the kitten and Mother's fur inside their house.

Maybe I am worrying too much? It is all new to me and I am still in shock!!! I'm not ready to be a Grand Father LOL!

scutter said:
Hi.

There was an attempt to make a nest I think?
There was just a lot of her fur, which is what made me look in the first place.

My set up is like yours, they have a kids wooden Wendy house and a run fixed to it. She had just 1 kitten and it was laying on a cold slab. We moved the kitten and Mother's fur inside their house.

Maybe I am worrying too much? It is all new to me and I am still in shock!!! I'm not ready to be a Grand Father LOL!

to be honest i would not be to hopefull most rabbits have average about 4/8 in a litter if she has only one my guess is that she is not really up for it. are you postive theresonly one? did you make sure the rabbit was warm when you out it back in the nest as if its cold again she wont feed it you need to give it a gentle run in your hand to get it warm again! remember to cover your sent!

I noticed the kitten about 12PM, so it's been nearly six hours now.

It is still breathing and is snuggled up in lots of straw and fur

smokiemisty said:
keep mum and dad separated and keep mum and baby warm, lots of hay for her to feed on.

I don't think the babies eat hay at this stage, they have no teeth.

Anyhow, as the last course of action, I have met professional breeder who hand feed their baby rabbit with baby food, Heniz for e.g., make sure the baby food has no meat contents of any kind such as chicken.

:wink:

Looks like the kitten survived the night, both Mother and baby are doing well.

She must be looking after it

{:mad:>

scutter said:
:wink:

Looks like the kitten survived the night, both Mother and baby are doing well.

She must be looking after it

yep thats grand news :D :D :D i am so pleased for you, the kit will open its eyes around the tenth day, and leave the nest around the third weeks, then they are weaned on or after the 8 week, in which time they should not be separated, and mum needs to be feed ad lib (as much as she wants)

eve x

:p
Yes, panic over.

Mother is looking good, but Grandad here had a sleepless night, kept going out to check it was alright.

Go to work this morning and someone suggested this website :

http://www.rabbit.org/care/newborn.html

It does say, how do you know? Do you watch them all night? LOL
To which I replied YES and felt very embarrased :oops:

Well it was a shock for all of us I suppose. Thanks for your help and being there!

Gonna call the vets and see if they can do Mother, when she is feeling up to it.

:( I just called the vet. Poor Peter rabbit is booked in for this Friday for a little operation!!!

They advise to keep him sperated for a whole month.
Mummy rabbit (Jessica) is missing him so much and keeps looking for him.

I hope they can get back together real soon?
They are so close and Peter was the one who was making a fuss over the baby.

Back