• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post spaying advice

kateo

New Kit
My rabbit got spayed on wednesday. She wasn't eating much at the vets but started to eat almost as soon as she got home (just veg and hay - wouldn't touch dry food). Was fine for first couple of days but yesterday started to go off her food and today I've not seen her eat anything - not even carrot tops will tempt her - tried everything else I can think of .

This morning her belly had got a bit of swelling on it but went to the vet who said it was healing well and all internal stiches seemed intact - he said it was just post-op swelling but gave her an antibiotic jab just in case there was any trace of infection.

Just wanted to know how long a rabbit can go without food before I have to intervene - she's quite a nervous rabbit who doesn't like being picked up (and shakes when I do) so I don't want to syringe feed her unless I absolutly have to as the stress from that is likely to put her off eating even more.
I've just given her a bit of pineapple juice in a syringe to keep her going but know I shouldn't give her too much so what do I do next??

Any ideas anyone??

Hiya Kateo

Awww they're such a worry arn't they - did the Vet give your girl any Metacam - this is for pain relief and as a spay is such a big op for a Doe most Vets now prescribe it as standard for the first few days - good though that there is no infection to worry about and that her stitches are in tact.

Have you tried tempting her with some freshly washed herbs - this way that will get fluid into her as well as fibre - also if you have some you could try some Science Recovery or alternatively mash some pellets in warm water and praps pop some chopped cooked carrot in but mashed very fine, you may even be able to syringe feed this. - anything you can thing of to stimulate her to eat.

Personally if she's not eating and pooing in 24/48 hours max I'd pop back the Vets as you really don't want Gut Statis on top everthing else right now.

Thank you - no I didn't get any painkillers - they just gave her a painkilling injection when she got spayed - didn't say how long it'd last.

I'm just gonna try with some mashed carrot and she how she goes.

She is still pooing a bit but they're only tiny - so she must be eating something when I'm not looking.

Hiya Kateo -

Thats a good sign that at least something is getting through and I think normally poos can take a day or two to get back to normal but if she is not eating enough and her poos are very very small and theres not many of them then there is a risk of gut statis may be setting in.

Hope the mashed carrot tempts her - fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, corriander can be good to tempt them too :wink:

If she's still no better tomorrow or your in any doubt might be worth having a chat to your Vet, Bunnies really don't tolerate pain well at all and I would have thought if the injection was given last Wednesday it will have worn off well by now and it may be that she is still a bit sore.

Also if she is uncomfortable and not eating too the Vet may decide its best to give her a gut stimulant to get her Gut moving again - they may have already done this after her spay so might be worth asking them and some of them take 24/48 hours to work.

Awwwww sending a snuggle for your wee girl - hope she's o.k and try not to worry - we all know what paceing the carpet is like when you have not so tip top bunster on your hands.

Back