• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please

cwozza

New Kit
hi, i have just gone to check on my babies today and mum has put 3 on to 1 side, i have read other feeds and i know that they sometimes do this ,but because she has done this i can now see that 3 of the other babies are 1/2 the size and their skin looks too big for their bodies, i'm not sure what to do now
do i leave them a bit longer to see if they gain weigh or do i get someone to hold mum and try to get them to feed(as i seen on other feeds) any advice please

If the skin look too big for their body, they are not getting fed. They should have nice fat and round bellies.
Does she look to have abandoned them? There may be nothing you can do, at 6 days old it is very hard to hand rear. You could lie mum on her back, restraning her, and place the babies near a teat to see if they will feed. Make sure she doesnt kick as she could send babies flying.
I would make sure that the babies still had scent of mum, and place them at the bottom of the nest. Hopefully when she goes to feed the others she will not notice them, and at the bottom they will get warm again.

Good luck

The thing is the mum will feed her babies at night time and you rarely get to see her feeding them. I would just put them back into the nest if possible and hope for the best. My neighbour's bun kicked the runt of the litter out of the nest time and time again but she just kept putting her back in, she is now the biggest of all the buns and has an attitude to match lol.

Good Luck

You can usually tell if they have been fed recently, when they begin to look small and "shrunken" in the skin they haven't been fed for a while. However sometimes mums know best, and abandon the ones with problems unknown to us.
The only thing you can do is hope for the best that she will feed them again.

If you really don't think they are getting any food, you could make up some milk and see if they take it. When my babies mum died as soon as I put a teat to their mouth they went frantic for the milk and took it really easily, if they don't they probably either aren't hungry or are too weak. You could then put them back in the nest. You could only do that though if the mum isn't bothered by you handling them at all.

Back