• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cut near bum

Teddybun

New Kit
I've just washed my bun as he seems to have had an attack of soft poo and was trimming matts that have gathered round his nether regions. I have accidentally knicked his skin where there is loose skin and feel awful (floods of tears) but he doesn't seem bothered by it. What do you think i should do, should i take him to the vets or is it just a case of keeping it clean? It isn't bleeding just looks like an open wound (size of a pea), but i am worried and feel sick with guilt. :cry:

Oh dear what a shame - I can understand how upset you must be, but it was an accident so please don't be too hard on yourself.

The important thing is to make sure that the wound is kept clean - which with a cut near the bott is going to be quite hard :?

Howver pea size is quite a size for a bunny and it might be best (even just for your own piece of mind) to tka ehim to the vets for a check up. Perhaps you could make a nurse appointment (they charge less than the vets and may not even charge at all), if there is any concens then they would refer you to the vet for treatment and if not then at least you will be reassured :D

However for tonight I would ensure that it is clean and perhaps put him on a towel to sleep on - sawdust etc might aggravate the wound.

lol Pam

Thanks, he is a large French lop house bunny so snoozing on the carpet at the moment. We have made sure his litter tray is as clean as it can be and think i will phone the vets first thing tomorrow.

Hiya,

It's really important you keep it very clean and check it regularly (3-4 times a day at least). This time of year any open wounds or rabbits with dirty bottoms are very prone to fly strike. That's where flies lay their eggs on to the wound/skin and the maggots burrow into the skin.

You vet probably won't do anything about the wound itself but they would be able to provide you with rearguard which helps protect against flystrike and also disinfectant for the wound if you need it.

You can always give your vet a call and get some advice over the phone :)

Tam

Ps. Just seen he's a house rabbit - thats good he's less prone to flystrike but it's still important you keep a close check :)

Thanks, you've reassured me a little, feel like such an idiot. Shall keep an eye on it, but fingers crossed, think i'll leave the hairdressing to professionals in future.

Always have to keep an eye on his bum as he seems to get soft poo often, i now have him on Avipro to try and keep him normal.

He's on excel. we've been trying to get him to eat hay since day one but has always refused it. I've always thought this has been the cause of most of his probs but can't seem to do anything about it. We've reduced the pellets to almost nothing in an attempt to force him to eat hay but he still refuses and would rather starve and get very cross than eat it!

post subject

I have snipped my bunnies before :( , i put on sudocream on it to keep it clean and free from any urine.

You must keep a careful eye on it, but both my 2 lived!!!!

I changed my 2 on to science selective about 5 months ago, they`re not big hay eaters, and fingers x the sticky bums disapeared :p :p :p

I'm sure he will be fine as long as it stays nice and clean. I wouldn't apply rearguard just yet though, it does say on it not to use where there is broken skin. :D

Awww don't feel guilty about it, accidents do happen!

When I was introducing my rex Honey to her new cagemate, she got a bite near her bum which was a small cut too. I took her to the vets who just said to try and keep it as clean as possible. It didn't get infected and healed in no time at all.

I cleaned my rabbit's cut with a salt solution and made sure her litter tray was as tidy as I could keep it, so she wasn't sat stewing in there too long!

As for the hay thing, have you tried different types of hay and grass? My rabbit Rosie (the bum-biter!) doesn't eat the normal hay from the pet shop, she prefers the expensive kind made by excel :roll:

A wound like that, without seeing a picture, just to be on the safe side, should be on anti-biotics. IF it is just surface skin damage, no need, but if you can see the blood from the wound deep inside the muscle, no doubt, anti-biotics.

It's much easier to judge w/ a photo

hi

you could probably pick up some vetzyme antibacterial powder from P@H tomorrow - it's in the dog and cat section but is suitable for small animals too.

I have also heard that science selective pellets clear up sticky bum problems - my local vet stocks it but you can do a search for an online shop or ask a petshop to get it in - Anyone who stocks russell rabbit will have an account as it's the same manufacturer.

With hay - I have thrown away loads of the pet shop type, and only buy expensive stuff online now as I despaired of finding decent hay in shops - a farm shop might have nice hay in but if it's stored in plastic it doesn't last long before going off...One of my girls always wees on the hay so I give them a big dog's bowl of dried grass as well (the friendly make - similar to readigrass) - they love it and it's as good as hay and not too expensive.

Back