• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help needed

elaine

Mama Doe
I had a phonecall from a lady tonight she is fetching me believe this 2 of 4 week old baby rabbits in tomorrow as lets just say the previous owner didn't have nice things planned for them so this lady has taken them on.

Anyway how do I cope with 2 rabbits this age that have no mum?? do you think they are liable to survive?? and if so what is the best way to do with them

Elaine

hi

I think you might get more help if Tamsin moves this to the care section - sorry I haven't a clue about baby bunnies - this is a good article I found though, which gives you an idea of how to substitute mothers milk for them - although they are starting to be weaned at their age they usually have milk too till they are older...The main problem seems to be that as they go onto solid food the mother's milk helps provide the necessary stomach bacteria for digestion - these babies are missing out on that so I think you should keep their diet as simple as possible - just hay and the milk substitute suggested here:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

good luck with them - I would also keep them indoors for now

I think it would be advisable also to put on a bottle of kitten milk every day as they would still normaly be gatting some milk if they were with there mum. val

When I had kits that were thrown out of the nest repeatedly by the mother the vet advised me to hand rear with goats milk, but that was quite some time ago, so not sure if its still current :?

kits

HI...yes I have heard (via my vet) that goats milk is the best :) :) you can buy a feeding set from most pet shops which will be much easier for you & the babies to use :) :) its similar to a babies feeding bottle byt smaller GOOD LUCK :D :D :D :D

These rabbits have now arrived and believe it or not I now have 2 at 4 weeks and a further 6 at 5 wks

elaine

good luck with your babies, i have 9 10 days old babies, which was born to my 2 female rabbits(LOL) what a shock, luck for me i still have mum around, hope all goes well

Back