• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bonded bunnies of 8 months are now fighting on and off!!

nreal_hill

Warren Scout
Hi,

This is my first post (ever on any forum) so I hope I do it right. My wife and I are the proud owner of 3 rabbits Sweep a small grey lop male, Floppy a larger cross breed male and Smudge an English spot female. We have had these rabbits for 10 months now, 8 of which they have been living very happily together - that is until last Monday.

I think I should quickly note at this point that both the males are neutered by the little girl isn't spayed. We got her as part of a bonded pair but when we took them to the vets to be ‘done’ the first one died when she was put under the gas. As this was extremely rare the vet felt it best not to have her sister done in case it was a genetic.

All 3 live in a converted 6 by 4 shed in the garden (we can’t have them inside as my wife is allergic). It took a while to get them bonded but in the end they seemed to get along beautifully. Once a month or so Smudge builds her nest and sometimes ‘borrows’ a little of the boys fur – but they don’t ever seem to mind. Last Monday however I placed them out in the run and was cooking the dinner when to my horror I looked out to see the run covered in fur. A little from everyone – a lot from Floppy. I placed them back in the shed to then witness Sweep lunge at Floppy and chase him about. Sweep (even though he’s the smallest) is the most aggressive out of all the bunnies. Floppy reacts as he should and doesn’t fight but lowers his head in submission but Sweep insists now of chasing him away. I left them a few days (I got advice from the vet who said wait and watch carefully). Since then Sweep appears to be alright with Floppy in the shed (although they don’t sit near each other) but in the run he bites and chases Floppy if Floppy even dares go near him.

This behavior is always worse if I happen to be near them. If I go in the shed to try and pick up one of the boys (which leads to the inevitable chase around) Sweep growls, lunges and bites anytime poor Floppy runs by him to escape me. Now I say all this yet when I went to take a photo of them to show you the type of behaviour this is what they looked like:

Bunnies.jpg

He isn't attacking all the time, and hasn't caused any injuries other than a little pulled fur! There aren't any new toys, Rabbits or anything unusual in there environement I'm really not sure what to do. Removing Sweep and placing him on his own would be a solution, but not one I really want to do. I want my 3 bunnies who get along fine back.

Any suggestions would be great. Sorry for the length I wanted to include as much info as possible.

Thanks,

Nick

hi

welcome to the forum - your bunnies look gorgeous (like butter wouldn't melt :? ) and you sound like you've done everything right so far - There seems to have been one post after another with this same problem this week - bonded bunnies deciding to fight! I don't know if it's the weather or what - Seperating Sweep is what I would do, but it's a pain having to juggle 2 seperate groups of bunnies with exercise space and cleaning...A lady with a similar problem had success earlier this week when she rubbed some lavender oil on all the bunnies - the change of scent seemed to throw off the dispute somehow (funny bunnies :roll: ) - Worth a try if you're desperate?

Right thanks for the advice. I'll try the lavender oil.

The only reason I'm reluctant to seperate them is not because of the extra work it may cause but more because I don't want him to get lonely. Also the vet seemed to think it would only make his 'awkward' temperament worse?

I think whilst they're not doing any damage and are snuggling up inbetween I'd be tempted to leave them to it and keep a close eye.

It's the sort of behaviour you see during bonding when their sorting out who's boss and hopefully they'll settle again what the pecking order is and go back to getting on okay.

If it starts getting more serious then you might be forced to split them and maybe have two pairs.

You could try adding boxes to the run so they can avoid each other if they want.

Tam

Also I was just about to make some modifications to their environment in the shed (Building sleeping compartments which are raised from the ground giving them the full floor space to run). Is it not a good idea to muck around with their living space at this unsettled time - even if it means they miss out on more running room?

They have boxes stacked in the middle of the shed (you can just about see them in the original photo at the top) at the moment meaning they can run around them? Maybe this is why fighting doesn't occur as much in the shed as Floppy and Smudge can escape by running around the other side of the box? All this has got me second guessing everything.

Hi there and welcome to the forum, this place is a great help in good times and bad. I have been through a simular time this week where my bonded bunnies have started to fight and I have had to split their living quarters in two as they just wouldn't stop fighting!!!

I have taken my buck Romeo who seems to start all the trouble to the vet to see if there was anything wrong with him which could be causng him pain and causing him to lash out. He's had the all clear but there was a suggestion that this could just be a display of usual buck behaviour, he was neutered at the end of June so there may be traces of his hormones floating about even after 6 weeks. When were your buns castrated, could this be the case with you?

I also read that some bunnies are affected by the change in seasons which can upset them and cause aggression, I'm not sure how true this is!!!! Hope its not atall true because I dont think I could go through alll of this 4 times a year. :?

The only other suggestions I have are change in routine, but I think you covered that. Is there any chance that another animal scent has disrupted them.... another rabbit, fox, dog, cat??

Sorry I cant be any more help, I think it is out of our hands to be honest, we just have to sit and wait and keep a close eye on them. Good luck.

I hope the fact about the seasons isnt true too. They were castrated last December so i am assuming all traces of hormones have vanished. There are no new rabbits here and as far as i know no additional cats or foxes. We are going to try the Lavender Oil trick and see how things go, although for the minute theres been no fighting inside the shed (their home), although the boys dont sit together and only a small amount of chasing in the run this morning. No growling! Got to be a good thing?

just a thought, how big is the run? just wondering if its a little on the small side and thats why they fall out when ouside the shed?

We have just purchased a brand new run which is 9ft square, previous run was 8 by 2. They are just coming up to a year old so we thought a larger run would be a good idea.

From Wife Of Nreal.

Yep, they really love it, lots of binkying!!!!! Also, more space for Floppy (the one who gets bullied) to get away from Sweep - lucky Floppy can out run him easily.

Re: My bonded bunnies of 8 months are now fighting on and of

nreal_hill said:
We got her as part of a bonded pair but when we took them to the vets to be ‘done’ the first one died when she was put under the gas.

What exactly mean by "to be 'done'", done what? And what sort of gas is it, and why would a rabbit needed to be put under any sort of gas?

Your rabbits are getting mature and fighting for territories, which is perfectly normal. I would just get the other rabbit a separate built cage. It's simple and it's easy.

I have the same problem w/ my lovebirds. They are both female, when they are together, they can stay together for 1 day, and they seems very sweet to ea. other. But after 1 day, they really fight as they fight for territories. In the end, they live in 2 separate cages and has been for many years.

hi

Oh well - the new run explains it - Any change in their environment, especially more or better space, causes a new 'well I'm going to be the boss of this area' spat - I guess they'll settle down once they've sorted out who gets the new run :roll:

Even my girls were fighting a bit yesterday - there'd been a lot of heavy rain and it all smelt different out there - well at least that was the only reason I could think of!

Happy Hopping said:
nreal_hill said:
We got her as part of a bonded pair but when we took them to the vets to be ‘done’ the first one died when she was put under the gas.

What exactly mean by "to be 'done'", done what? And what sort of gas is it, and why would a rabbit needed to be put under any sort of gas?

I'm guessing he means spayed, and gas would be anaesthetic. :)

Happy Hopping said:

I meant when I took them to be spayed. This was why we then didn't have Smudge spayed as her sister died. The vet said (from what I remember at the time) that she had just been put under the gas, and he'd made his first cut when her heart just stopped. Bless her.

Sorry to be a pain Elve but they the problem started with there old run. the new run was bought as my first attempt to calm the situation.

As an update (and I don't want to jynx anything by writing this) but Sweep seemed a lot better yesterday. When they were out he did a little chasing of Floppy and mounting of Smudge, but there was now growling or biting. Also in the shed I haven't witness anymore signs of aggression, and even found all sitting together. Unfortuntely I have to replace there sleeping boxes as they're getting a it old now and I just hope when I do that today or tomorrow this change doesn't kick off a large ruck in the shed.

Thanks for all the advice.

hi

:x ach these bunnies drive me crazy - maybe they enjoy it?

You have definitely jinxed it now you know :shock: :wink:

My shed has lots of Primrose's (?) fur all over this morning and there's a lot more chasing going on on the patio - So I'm watching thinking 'oh no - I'm definitely going to have to split them up this week - but I haven't got any hutches - oh no...'

And now they're all sat together eating hay like they love each other :roll:

Sorry to be a pain Elve but they the problem started with there old run. the new run was bought as my first attempt to calm the situation.

I think the bigger run should help, fingers crossed that it does help :D

Yep I think the bunnies must just enjoy it. We're in exactly the same boat with no spare hutches. There must be something in the air at the moment (not just me cursing!).

hi

As if they know I'm thinking of splitting them up - just took this! I have to conclude that, like small children, bunnies squabble just to pass the time :roll:

whome.jpg

Back