• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible abcess ??? - confirmed tooth root abcess

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
Ross (o/h) has just called to say he was cuddling Mikey and noticed a small lump under his chin about the size of his little finger nail :shock:

What could this be ? Could it be an abcess ?

I have an appointment at the vets at 5 - im so scared :cry:

Charlie had a lump under his chin many years ago, it turned out to be an abcess. Apparently they aren't dangerous but can be quite hard to get rid of. Charlie was really lucky the vet lanced it, squeezed the stuff out, cleaned it up and it all healed up nicely, never came back.

Fingers crossed Mikeys is something similar and will go as easily.

Then can sometimes get little matts of fur under their chin, particularly if the drink from a bowl. It could just be that.

If it's an abcess then it's very little so hoefully shouldn't be to hard to clear up.

The other thing is sometimes the roots on rabbits teeth grow downwards and they get little lumps along their jaw line. Thats further back where their back teeth are not just under the chin though.

Tam

lindsey i am so sorry to hear about mikey, lets hope it nothing serious! please let us know what the vets says babe!

eve x

The vet said he couldnt feel it - no matter how much i pointed it out he couldnt feel it !
So we either imagined it, its normal or i need to get a second opinion

Think the vet must think im crazy !

Mikeymoo said:
The vet said he couldnt feel it - no matter how much i pointed it out he couldnt feel it !
So we either imagined it, its normal or i need to get a second opinion

Think the vet must think im crazy !

:? :? :? lindsey if you can feel it why could the vet not!?

Mikeymoo said:
Eve i have no idea but over the weekend it has doubled in size :shock: so its a trip to another vet tonight

omg do let us know what the vets says. fingers crossed its nothing serious! xxxxxx

eve x

I hope so too

I decided to take insurance out last Friday as it may be something costly or ongoing - not that i mind paying for his treatment at all but it doesnt grown on trees does it

Mikeymoo said:
I hope so too

I decided to take insurance out last Friday as it may be something costly or ongoing - not that i mind paying for his treatment at all but it doesnt grown on trees does it

dont forget to tell us how he gots on!

Most insurance companies won't cover within the first two weeks! So you may not be able to claim for this. I do hope it isn't anything too serious and that he is feelin much better soon! :)

Mikey has a tooth root abcess :cry: He is going to be operated on tomorrow and have x-rays done. Im so upset my poor baby. The vet said that the outlook was not great and that Mikey wouldnt be an elderly rabbit

He also said that the insurance wouldnt cover it and would be £130

Mikeymoo said:
Mikey has a tooth root abcess :cry: He is going to be operated on tomorrow and have x-rays done. Im so upset my poor baby. The vet said that the outlook was not great and that Mikey wouldnt be an elderly rabbit

did you also call him an ******** for not seeing it the other day!
:twisted: :twisted:

poor little mikey, i am sure he will be ok lindsey! i have my fingers crossed for him, give him a snuggle from his auntie Eve x

sendinh him healing vibes honey! and good luck with the op tommorrow!!! let us kow how he gets on!

aw poor baby . Hopefully the op will go ok and listen , my vet told me when cheeky was 1 year old that he would not live long with his health probs , he lived to be 6 and a half !! Just take it one day at a time and you may be surprised !

good luck with his op tomorrow , let us know how he gets on . xx

bunnylove said:
Mikeymoo said:

did you also call him an ****hole for not seeing it the other day!
:twisted: :twisted:

poor little mikey, i am sure he will be ok lindsey! i have my fingers crossed for him, give him a snuggle from his auntie Eve x

sendinh him healing vibes honey! and good luck with the op tommorrow!!! let us kow how he gets on!

Eve it was a different vet and he had trouble Ross got a bit shirty with him and kept pointing it out - he got there in the end.
I just hope he will be ok Eve as he is my substitute baby :oops: :cry: I love him SOOO much - i know you will all know what i mean

Oh I'm sooo sorry. He will be fine though :) They didn't think Pippa would get through her op last week and she did :)

Good luck and keep us posted, sending snuggles + good vibes xx

Back