• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi vaccs

Katie

Mama Doe
At the moment my two only get done once a year, i meant to ask my vet but keep forgetting! I'll have to write iton their carrier i think! Anyway what do you guys think? twice a year or just once?

Difficult one... twice a year is generally advocated in high risk areas, but how do you define high risk?

I guess rural settings where you're rabbit is more likely to come into contact with insect that have also come into contact with rabbits would possibly be higher than inner city? Your vet might do it on the number of pet rabbits they see with it.

Tam

cheeky used to be once a year but when my vet realised my fiance was a farmer and was in contact with wild rabbits then he upped it to twice a year . They now recommend twice a year for myxi for rabbits at my practice

My vets only do once a year, they checked with the manufactuer (sp) for me and they have said that the vaccine will last for 12months so there is no need to vaccinate twice a year. :D

They gave you different information than they gave us, Phill.
They told us that the vaccine gave 8 months protection after that it did not work. They did tell me the reasons which sounded very plausable, but I can't remember what they said now!

Oh well Donna, i suppose we may get different information from which ever manufacturer a particular vets get there vaccs from. We had a big check done when we had the VHD. I havn't seen any mixy buns this year come to think of it. But my vets also said you get that now with so many wild buns becoming ammune to it one year you will get few cases the next you will get hundreds

My vets recommended once a year, but I take Evo twice, for my own peace of mind. O/h is a digger driver and works in all sorts of places, plus he sees wild buns at his yard most days, so I'd rather not take the risk. I've seen myxi bunnies in Plympton, which isn't all that far, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

hmm I think its a trickyone, best to go on the reccommendations for your area, we have to get alfie some more critical care from the vet so i'll ask then - thanks for your help everyone
:D

Mine get done twice a year, although if Pippa still isn't well she won't be getting hers in the winter, will wait til she is better!

Back