• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For the people that work for rescue centres...

Lanny

Warren Scout
Out of curiosity do you ever do visits after the adoption? I know this would mean a lot more time but I was thinking about it last night and just wondered why Organisations don't as a whole.

Thank you

The RSPCA who I had Bramble and Blossom from do a home check before you get the buns to check on the living arragements and they do a follow up visit about a month afterwards to check all is ok :D

Lanny said:
just wondered why Organisations don't as a whole.

Lack of volunteers. It's hard enough to find enough people willing to do the pre-home check let alone doubling up the number of homechecks by doing a post home visit.

Some rescues willing do a telephone follow up and almost all are there for help/advice if you ask for it.

Tam

As Tamsin says, lack of volunteers means it is not usually possible to do a follow up visit. The only time we do this is if there is something 'outstanding' eg run being permanently attached to a hutch but not done yet etc.
We always do a follow up phone call to check neutering has been done if we home babies.
We find most people keep in touch with us anyway. I think because we are fairly small we can get to know our adopters and they send us photos and updates, which is always lovely!

lots of people keep in contact with us through emails and it is nice when people do send us photos, and tell us stories!

i always phone people about neutering babies, especially the little boys!

sophie

Yep I guess as the good folks on here have already mentioned they just would'nt have the time and resources to follow up every rehoming so would have to trust their initial judgement in a lot of cases.

I think though a lot of the rescues and sanctuaries will have got to know special folks through the rehoming that they do that will keep in contact and so get to hear about how their particualr rescue bunns are doing -

I know both Aunt Adele - who knows my bunns real well from Boarding and from previous ill health panics knows my bunnies inside out :lol: :lol: - literally and Aunt Tracy is a very special Aunt to Cagney as she was rehomed from her so you kinda form a special bond in that way.

Ain't us bunny mums kinda wierd :lol: :lol:

I have to agree it is lack of time and a lack of available help for many rescues which means a follow up home visit is not made, I organise the guinea pig side of ARC and have rehomed approximately 172 piggies so far this year. Some of these have not been formally home checked due to the distance involved however vet references, photos, videos and some have purchased indoor or outdoor hutches and runs from us have meant that we have still been able to rehome animals to homes which really would have been impossible to rehome to due to distance.

I always make it clear to people who adopt piggies that we are always available for advice either by email or by phone if they require any further information or advice about something which concerns them. If someone contacts me with about a problem I usually will ring them back at a later date to check that everything has been sorted out or even pop around to check up on how things are going. As both Donna and Sophie have said we frequently get phone calls or emails with lots of pictures from people who have adopted animals from us.

As a rescue we also make it quite clear that if someones circumstances change and / or someone feels that they are unable to continue to care for the animal they have adopted in the manner they should be cared for then they should contact us, so we can find an alternative home for them.

Janice

Thanks everyone, I asumed that it was just time and resources but I didn't know if there was anything else. It was just that our home visit was so brief and the person doing the visit did have some things she wanted us to do before we adopted fern and donny ( which we did) we must just have caught them at a really busy time.

We are going to pop in to the rescue centre this weekend anyway so I am sure they will want to know how the buns are getting along.

I volunteer for a rescue (not rabbit), and they do a home check and will refuse homes until the problems are solved. I went to one a few weeks back as a second (basically, training to be a home checker) and a home was refused because the catches on the door of the hutch were not suitable. So a second was done a week later and catches and locks were fitted to the hutches, and the family were allowed to take the animals home.

New owners are phoned after a week to see how they are going, and the phone is always ringing for advice. The rescue also has a follow up visit where home checkers will ring to see if they can check and it could be any time after the adoption.

Where we got our dog did a before home visit and we are still waiting (5 years on) for a after visit check. But i guess it is to with resources.

Gracie and animals x

Back