• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit article on rspca.org

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
I've been having a look around rspca.org and found this page:
http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Sat...t&pg=rabbits&marker=1&articleId=1123153962037

Number 4 says "Keep us together - Rabbits can forget their companions after a few hours. Take them to the vets together and never separate same-sex pairs."
I have two girls who live in a run and double decker hutch. Rosie is impatient and I've read her breed (polish/britannia petite) is best kept alone, I didn't know that when I got her though. As Honey has been on a diet I cover the top of the ladders in their hutch on a night so one rabbit is in the top half and the other is on the bottom. Rosie gets hay and pellets but Honey just gets hay and then during the day time they're let out into the run, share pellets and the hutch is opened up so they get maximum space but get to be together. Since separating them at night, Rosie has been much happier during the day. She would chase Honey and bite her bum, scratch her back to make her move, they did get along with each other though and napped together. Since I started to separate them on a night, Rosie has been happier to see Honey on a morning and neither of them seem sad or as if they miss their companion while separated and they don't jump around and get over-excited as if they missed each other, fight or squabble when they're put together. Even when Honey's lost enough weight, I think I'll still be separating them on a night because it makes them much happier during the day, Rosie likes to be alone and Honey probably appreciates being kept away from Rosie's controlling attitude!
Anyway, I agree with everything else they've put there! What do everyone else think? My rabbits get vaccinated against VHD and Myxomatosis only once a year, they recommend Myxo done twice a year but my vet said it was ok :? ???

hi

If Tamsin could move this to the care section it would be good - we're all obsessed with bonding questions there! That's a really interesting way of keeping bunnies - I've not heard of it before so I'd love to hear everyone's views on this :)

I'm afraid I've never heard of this situation before! I've heard of the opposite where they fight if they're seperated and put together regularly.

Maybe it could be something to do with them being able to smell each other even if they can't see each other? Rabbits rely on their sense of smell to "see" other rabbits in their warrens.

mmmm my buns are together all through the day when they are either running free in the garden and patio (when I'm in to watch them) or in their enclosed run/hutch (which is covered) when I am out. At night they each have their own hutch to sleep in. They are male and female, Bunny has been castrated, but Flossie isn't spayed yet (only 14 weeks old). Should I start letting them sleep together (oherr missuss!!) or do you think that they are ok as they are? I was debating getting a shed to keep them in, especially as I'm now getting a lionhead and her 2 babies, (but obviously I was planning to keep her seperate for some time until the babies are ready to be moved.)

what do the experts out there think?

I don't mind what I do, I just want the buns to be happy :D

Whoops sorry, I thought it was sort of welfarey :lol: but I suppose its care too, wasn't really sure where to put it!

I'm pretty sure my rabbits are happy when separated at night, especially Rosie as she enjoys time alone, so I'm happy for it to continue. Really interested in your replies though.

Heres a link on Rosie's breed if anyone wanted to know:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/polish_brit_petite.htm

It describes Rosie to a tee :D although I can't find where it says they prefer to live alone, I'm sure I read that somewhere!

Back