• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Pippin's teeth

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I have been reading the bad teeth thread but just wanted to get a few opininons.

Pippin is about 8 weeks old. His front teeth don't meet and grow quite quickly he's already had them clipped by the vet twice and I've only had him about a month!

The vet has suggested that when I have him neutered in a few weeks time that he has the front teeth taken out. Is this the best thing for him? I know it would stop the stress of having his teeth clipped all the time, poor little man.

What do people think and how different re presentation will his food have to be... finely chopped.grated, water softend pellets etc . I will also have to give Oxo and Lavender ordinary food.

Rabswood

Rabbits cope extremly well without there front teeth, 5cutebunnies has one with no front teeth and my Will is having his out in a couple of weks, they don't use tyhere front teeth for chewing just grabbing food so they usually don't need anything different donw after about a week or so. When he first has them out you will need to give him soggy pellets and grated veg though XX

I've got two buns - soon to be three - without teeth, and I definately recommend it. Mary was having his burred down about every week, which obviously isn't a good experience for them, and by about 5-6 days his fur would be looky tatty, he'd be getting it stuck between his teeth (they were growing slightly apart), he'd be eating less, etc.
Once he had them out, he perked right up! Because of this experience, I haven't hesitated when the vets have told me it's the best course of action for the other two. Squishy's had his out a few weeks now, and the rex will have his done soon.
They cope absolutely fine. I do cut veg up for them, but not absolutely tiny (doesn't really need to be grated either). They can manage the Science Selective pellets with no problem, so I use that as a guide for how small to cut the veg. The leafy veg I just tear up into about 2" x 3/4" strips (though I don't measure, lol) and they do fine.
I have changed their hay, as meadow hay was a bit 'messy' and harder for them to get hold of with their lips, so they have timothy hay. I've just got some short grassy-type hays for them too, which I put in a bowl and they love it.
They get lots of veg, as Mary has molar problems too - apparently this can sometimes occur when front teeth are removed, because the position of the jaw changes, but it's worth speaking to your vet about that because it may already be the case (could be the reason his teeth don't meet)
I would definately recommend it. One thing to consider is that if any of the root remains, the teeth can grow back - one of Mary's grew back and he had it out when they were doing work on his spurs, but no sign of any reoccurance.
They don't have softened pellets though, as I said, they manage the long Science Selective ones fine, as well as the Excel pellets. Mary has needed syringe feeding for a couple of days after his dentals, with soaked pellets, but Squishy only needed a couple of feeds and was onto regular pellets by the end of the night (he had the op midday-ish)

A boy bun had his front teeth taken out, only problem is one has started growing again, i've been told it is rare but not uncommon so keep an eye on them after they've been removed.

Back