• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabs start litter training

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
Today I put my litter tray in the Rabs outside run. The Rabs have been using a particular corner of their run for weeing and pooing. I sweep the grassy (well not so grassy now!) run every night when I clean their hutch out before bed, I also give what's left of the grass a bit of a water and rinse away the wee corner but this has now started smelling so I decided to try them with their litter tray (which I was saving for Rabsville). I have put a layer of sawdust in and a sprinkling of straw. Will look tonight when I get home from to see if they have used it. Lavender is grown up and her babies are about 8 weeks old.

Just a question about house bunnies. I am presuming they use a litter tray for wees but how do you cope with all the poo. Do they leave their poos all over the house?

Rabswood

Squidgy's quite good and does mainly poo and wee in his litter tray - he has to sit in it to get to his hay and food. He does leave little poos dotted about his hutch, but never really around the house.

hi

Ooops - just remembered your PM rabswood - thanks :)

Re the rabbit run and off topic - if Lavender's anything like my girls she may become a digger if she gets a bit bored when she's settled down - is there any way she can dig out of the run?

Re the litter training - when I just had the 2 neutered boys there was never a poo out of their litter trays (I always use at least 2 trays if there's more than one rabbit) - now I have 5 unspayed girls they are using their trays for everything whilst in the shed, although they get poops stuck to their feet when they jump out of the tray, so there's usually a few on the floor too - But outside is different as they and Benny have rival poop competitions to lay claim to the patio - I pick up loads every day (ooh me back!) :lol: But it's mainly in one corner.

I'm sure once Lavender's hormones go down and the boys are neutered they will be a lot more tidy as they won't need to mark territory so badly - but I would give them at least 2 big underbed boxes to use...And don't use sawdust as it's too fine and can cause breathing or eye problems - And don't put straw in the box either - they need good eating hay in there as they like to eat and poop at the same time, so will be more inclined to use the tray if they sit there to eat all their hay - 5 unspayed females have proved it works :)

Hi elve, don't know if it was actually me who replied to the 'rabbit run' topic. Although Lavender does like the occassional dig so I am hoping this will stop soon. When they move into Rabsville it wont be a problem and any outdoor run use I'll mostly be around for to keep my beady eye on!

Yes I have to clean the rabbit hutch out every night as there has been a serious weeing and poo fest in the sleeping area.

What did you mean about the under bed trays?

Did you reply to pm re the voucher?

Rabswood

our buns use their trays for all wees and about 50% of poos but the rest they only do in their room and cos they are dry (tmi sorry) I just hoover them up!!

hi

cutipoopi.jpg

I use underbed boxes for littertrays as they're so big - the hay can go at one end and mostly avoid pee then - Can you fit a litter tray in the sleeping area of the hutch? Wilkinsons have loads of plastic storage - you might find something that fits, or just a couple of cat litter trays side by side? If you have any spare pavers you could put them over Lavender's fav digging spots just to be safe - I couldn't believe how fast Maa nearly dug out when I first got the girls - The boys never dug at all :shock:

Re the voucher - I'm sitting on the fence still regarding getting the girls spayed, so I'll give it a miss thanks - Sheffield's a bit of a hike for me too with no car :)

Back