• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After the neuter?

Saff

New Kit
Ok. Benjamon (new name) is going for his neuter this morning ... when I bring him home tonight, how should I care for him?

How can I expect him to be when I pick him up from the vets, he wont still be sleepy will he? I don't want to go there and see him all relaxed and flopped out, the shock will be too much if I'm not expecting it !

How soon COULD it be before I see a change in his behaviour?

Oops! I've just seen the FAQ bit on here and it's answered my questions ... I feel dreadful, putting the poor thing through an operation, did anyone else feel like this?

Yes and no. It's for the best and all of my bunnies have been much calmer and happier I think after their neuter/spay. The vet won't send them home if they're not up to it, but mine have bounced back quite well.

When my buck got neutered he was home and running around that evening so I guess it depends on each rabbit. Neuters usually aren't as bad as spays. Most of the neuters I have come across the males bounce back ASAP. They usually don't skip a beat, depending on how heavy their anesthsia was. Spays usually take a day and a half before the doe is eating and drinking normal and is willing to excersise. Spays are much more serious than neuters.

If treated properly post-op all should be well!

hi

Neutering won't change behaviour that's related to fear or bad treatment though - only time, patience and TLC will cure that - Neutering should stop him being territorial and peeing everywhere, and calm him down a bit - which is a good start :)

Back