• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies new level :)

Myst

Young Bun
I made a 2nd level for the rabbit cage, and here they are enjoying it :D

The cheeky duo
P1013722.jpg

The new level
P1010553.jpg

Yummy 8)
P1010540.jpg

P1010539.jpg

P1010530.jpg

P1010531.jpg

Too cute to leave out :wink:
P1010543.jpg

Hope you like, sorry some pics aren't clear but I didn't want to use the flash at close range and upset the buns :shock:

Awwww, they are so cute!!! That last piccie is just gorgeous, glad you didn't leave it out!!! Give them some hugs and kisses for me xxx

aaaawwwww :love: beautiful bunnies you have there Myst, and I like the new area you have made for them :) What do they thinnk of it :?:
Bunnies like being elevated and surveying all around, we always try and give the Sanctuary bunnies different levels to explore :)
Please give your bunnies a cuddle from me.
Best wishes
Adele

Are your buns out of their cage all the time, or are they shut in for long periods (e.g. at night)?
It's just that cage looks like a Ferplast 100-style cage, and I couldn't imagine ever putting a level in mine, unless it was a very small shelf. It's low enough as it is, without dividing it in two, and buns do like to be able to stand up and stretch (my mini rex is in one temporarily and he can only just stand up fully in it) :?

They look so happy! What a great idea - may have to pinch it!
I was trying to put a name suggestion forward last night on your other thread for Cuddles but had to give up cos the puter was so slow! I thought either Bosun(sp) or Mate - sad I know but I am!! :D

Awwwwwwwww, I see a little pink tongue sticking out in the first photo..... how cute :love: They look so happy and they are both adorable buns :love:

Karly said:
Are your buns out of their cage all the time, or are they shut in for long periods (e.g. at night)?
It's just that cage looks like a Ferplast 100-style cage, and I couldn't imagine ever putting a level in mine, unless it was a very small shelf. It's low enough as it is, without dividing it in two, and buns do like to be able to stand up and stretch (my mini rex is in one temporarily and he can only just stand up fully in it) :?

They are house rabbits mainly, and only really spend the night in the cage.
They are usually hopping about my kitchen or tv room. :wink:
In the morning I open the door, and they get shut up usually around 2am.
I know, I'm a night hawk :p

I'm not sure of the make of the cage, but I bought it originally with a pygmy hedgehog in mind, in which case its a huge cage, but the breeder let me down and I only had the one shot at it because I was importing.
Then my work mate asked me to take a very nervous rabbit he caught in a town because he has about 7 rabbits and 5 ferrets himself, and didn't have the time to devote to him. He told me it was a tiny rabbit the size of a guinea pig :?
I myself do think the cage smaller than I'd like it, but its the best I can find, and at any rate it is better than being shut up in a small hutch by himself inside a shed 24/7 like he was.

Its the biggest cage I have ever seen for sale, and I scouted around for hutches and I cant find bigger ones either.

Once they are vaccinated they will be spending a lot of time out in a large run :D

The shelf only covers a portion of the cage, less than half anyways, and Captain especially loves being sheltered under it, as he is very shy and likes his privacy, they are able to sit up comfortably under it, and in the larger part of the cage without a shelf, they can stand up on their tip toes.

I'll post pictures when their run is done :D
t'll have double fencing to prevent my dogs getting close enough to worry them, but the dogs are always in the house too anyways :shock: dont worry different rooms ;) :shock:

aww that is great that they are running round your house all the time and there is nothing worng in having dogs with bunnies either - becky boo's bunny and dog r best friends and I know Gina's dog and Cheeky were best friends too! :D Stop justifying yourself your bunnies look real happy! :D :thumb:

BirdieBun said:
:D Stop justifying yourself your bunnies look real happy! :D :thumb:
I do feel that this is a problem sometimes with this forum, that one does often feel the need to justify actions. We all know we look after our bunnies the best we can.
Your bunnies are lovely Myst. Bobby and Nougat are outside bunnies and live in a huge run. They mostly sit on top of the hutch so they can have a look-see, very nosy creatures!! Looking forward to more piccies.

Very cute bunnies :D

It's important to remember photos only tell a part of the story. They can tell how much exercise the rabbit gets etc.

It's important rabbits have room to stretch up but that doesn't mean they don't like having small dens too. Providing both is certainly a good thing :)

There does seem to be a lack of good size cages aimed at rabbits, I think a lot of housebunny owners are going for dog crates instead.

Tam

All I care about is they are happy and I am glad I got captain out of that dingy little shed shared with ferrets :shock:
Although dan looks after his pets very well, he has moved out of his parents, leaving his pets there, but still cares for them when he visits daily, but you can imagine it limits his time with them. :(

I am going down now to watch tv and see what mischief those 2 have gotten up to in my tv room :lol:

I can't wait to make the run.. I have a nice shady spot picked out.. I wouldn't trust my dogs with my rabbits... 2 terriers and a border collie.. :shock: :shock: :p

My collie comes into my rodent shed and likes to lie down and watch them all, but I doubt he'd be as calm if there wasn't bars/glass separating them :lol:

awww your rabbits are gorgeous! Dont think ive ever seen a dutch marked lionhead rabbit.. how cute! :D Looks like they are enjoying their new level :D

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you out to be a bad owner, it's just some there's so little information 'out there' that people may house their buns in the wrong thing without even realising it - I know I did this (my bun had one of those cages too, and my rats used to be kept in much smaller cages than the palaces they had now, but there just wasn't the same amount of information around when I got them - Mary was being kept in the next size DOWN from that cage before I took him :shock:
I agree with there not being bigger hutches/cages on the market either, but dog crates make excellent 'cages', they're a lot cheaper - I paid about £50 for mine, and they're 48" x 30", and 36" high so definately enough room to put another level in and leave small bunnies enough room to stand up in. Someone else mentioned this, but it shows how inadequate store products are for animals - we keep rabbits in dog cages, rats in rabbit cages, hamsters in rat/chinchilla cages and mice in large hamster cages! Think the only thing I'd keep in a 'mouse' cage is stick insects, and even then they'd probably be cramped!

What size is the ferplast cage you mentioned?
I went down and looked and can't see any brand on it, but its around 50+ inches long, def over 45, because its beside a 35'' long glass tank :)

It is over 2' high anyways, i'll measure tonight when I put them in.
The height you see over the shelf is under it as well, but about 5'' higher.

Dont worry I wasn't offended, I'm sure i'v asked similar questions before regarding small rodents :)

I keep most of my rodents in rabbit tanks :D I put my 2 rabbits in a spare one to see, and god they were so small for even a lionhead :shock:

I think He is a lionhead crossed with a dutch rabbit, because he's not as fluffy as he should be right? And also he's caught up in size with my non-dwarf rabbit :shock:
They are beside me now in their carrier :roll: the run of the room and they snuggle up in their carrier :?

Back