• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My latest rescue!

Veronica

Mama Doe
I've recently started work at a petshop, and the other day, during my shift, we had a lady walk in with a rabbit, claiming she had found it as a stray, and was bleeding from a leg.

She was carrying him (not in a box) and handed him over to me (being the first member of staff she found). I took him in my arms, and turned around to find my manager. When I looked around the lady had gone! I was left holding a rabbit!

I carried him into the back to find my manager, who wasn't best pleased I'd taken a stray rabbit in! He told me to call the RSPCA straight away. So, with a collegue, I got the yellow pages, and gave them a call.

It was after 5pm, and the RSPCA was closed.

So, feeling sorry for this poor rabbit with no place else to go, I offered to take him home overnight.

I took him home, and gave him a look over. There was no bleeding leg, and infact seemed to be in good condition, apart from some very overgrown nails, and moulty. I clipped his claws, settled him into his hutch and gave him a big bowl of food with some greens, which he gulped down.

The next morning I phoned our local RSPCA, to report him being handed in as a stray, and to see whether anyone had reported him missing. The hadn't had any reports, and couldn't take in the rabbit as they were full to the brim. They said that many rabbits at this time of year are handed into them as 'strays' by their actual owners who were going on holiday etc, and couldn't look after their rabbit any more.
I said as I had the hutch vaccant, I could keep him here.

I've advertised him as found in vets and the local paper just incase it is genuine, but as yet have heard nothing.

So, for now, meet my new arrival :) He's a lovely little boy, who I'm spoiling rotten for all the upset he's been through recently. He's settling in well :)

Picture1499.jpg

Picture1500.jpg

Picture1501.jpg

Picture1502.jpg

Picture1503.jpg

Picture1504.jpg

Veronica

Awww, he is adorable! You did a really great thing by taking him in, I know I would have done the same thing! People could be so horrible with their animals, she had to make a complete lie about his leg so that you would take him, and then she just left. I guess she was thinking it was not her problem anymore, but ummmm...yeah it is!!

Well, he is very cute and looks like a great new addition to your family! Have you decided on a name yet?

xxxx

hehe yeah he is very cute :)

I just feel so sorry for him. I got in trouble from my boss at work for taking him in, and then my mum wasn't too pleased either, as she made me promise that once I'd started work at the petshop, I wouldn't bring any pets home with me!!

All this trouble I got, over him! :D I can't help but smile though, coz he's such a sweety, and hasn't got a clue what's been going on! :D

My main concern was to make sure he felt safe, settled and secure. :)

HIya Veronica, you are very kind to have given this handsome Dutch bunny a home, after he was abandoned.
It would be fatal me working in a pet shop I would end up with 100s of bunnies...I think you are extremely restrained only taking one home to date. The Dutch bunny is an exceptional case as he was literally dumped on you :(
Have you decided to keep him permanently or are you still seeking a home for the little poppet?

Best wishes and thank you for sharing some lovely photos with us. :D

Awww Veronica, Well Done for taking the poor little thing home.

I can beleive some people! Have they no heart at all? I could never imagine having an animal and giving it away just because I was going on holiday (as the RSPCA said to you) thats just awful.

It just goes to show how irresponsible some people are.

I hope the little fella is settling in ok, im sure he is with you spoiling him rotten :lol: :lol: :lol:

aawww he's adorable Veronica. I hope you managed to find him a new home soon so that everyone forgives you :wink:

Back