• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pippa home :) (And a Q about herbal remedies!)

nicolar

Mama Doe
I just picked Pippa up from the vets :D I'm very pleased she is home and just took this pic of her all snuggled up:

DSCF1051.jpg

Gotta keep her warm, do you think I should use a heatpad too or perhaps pop that in overnight as it is quite warm in my bed room. She looks quite perky really although very wobbly! And her scar is quite neat and tidy :)

Just a question for people in the know: what herbal remedies are there for promoting healing and also potentially cancer? And foods to help weight gain? (Porridge already on the list!)

Had a chat with vet and she said just to take it one day at a time. It could be cancer but wotever I won't treat her differently.

So pleased to have her home!

Nicola and Pippa

hi

glad she's home safe! - I would give her a heat pad tonight as it's suprising how you feel the cold when you're poorly...Re herbal remedies I know Lizzie on here used something or other when her late dog Harriet was ill with cancer - can't remember what it's called though so you'll have to pm her - some kind of enchynia (??) tea?? From health stores :)

Aww poor bunny - give her lots of snuggles :D

For putting on weigh pureed baby food is great - Pie loved the Heinz carrot for aged 4 months :D

As far as non-cancer foods go , the following contain phytochemicals which can help fight cancer:-

apple
garlic - very good bun your bun may not like it
carrots
cabbage
kale
lambs quarter (a herb used in salads often found in teh garden)
purstane (agin used in salads and found in the garden)
stinging nettle (probably used dried or else boil up the leaves and leave to cool)
green tea
essiac tea (I think Luvabun may use this)

good luck :D

lol Pam

Another thought...

It may be worth looking into Homeopathic remedies. I think Lizzie may be the one to ask.

Louise

Glad she's home. SHe does look quite perky! She looks to be very pampered - I'm sure she'll feel tin no time.

Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words. Pippa is much brighter this morning and I could hear her munching throughout the night :D Lots of poops and a wee greeted me as well so I was very chuffed about that too as we don't want to add stasis to our list of problems! I have been picking some grass for her which has gone down very well with the patient :)

Thanks Pam for that list :D When she is munching properly again I will add some of those to her diet - she already likes apple, carrots + kale so will try a few more :) I tried some baby food just before she went in for her op but she turned her nose up! Will have to try another flavour!!!

Thanks Louise, I will have a read through those links, and will PM Lizzie about homeopathic remedies.

I'm so glad she is home + doing well, her breathing is quite snuffly because they had to tube her but other than that I think she is doing brill :) I'm sure being spoilt helps! :)

Nicola

Thanks Phill, this is a pic of her this morning. She is much brighter, has been running round my room trying to escape the Baytril!!!

DSCF1053.jpg

As you can see she is a bit on the skinny side, can feel her backbone quite easily but hopefully that will soon be rectified :)

Yeah she is a comfy girl :) Changed all her bedding b4 I took that photo and found a big piece of Vetbed. So glad I have that stuff as she had weed on it overnight but it soaked to the bottom so didn't make her wet! I feel that the washing machine will be on a lot over the next few days!!

lol! i have about 5 bits of vet bed i love the stuff it is fantastic when our buns arn't well XXX

What a beautiful lady!

Is you're not already, it might be worth weighing her so you can keep a record of her weight. The easiest way to do that is to pop her in a carrier on the kitchen scales and then weigh the carrier seperately.

Then you'll be able to track whether she losses/gains weight. Sometimes it's difficult to tell just from feeling how it's changing.

Tam

Yep its brill, I use it in their hutches everyday too :) Have lots of different sized bits but had forgotten I had that massive white bit! Normally Princess has it in her shed but I'm sure she won't mind Pippa borrowing it!!

Awwwwwww, Pippa, you beautiful girl :love: I'm glad that everything went well and that you are feeling nice and lively trying to get away from the Baytril..... thats always a good sign :lol: ((((((((((((( Healing hugs ))))))))))))) to you :D

Thanks Mandy and Bunnster :) I always think trying to escape from the Baytril is a good sign!!

She has been munching on hay most of today, on + off, plus looking interested in what's going on :) Gonna give her an hour in the run in the sun this afternoon, to perk her up a bit more.

Nicola x

Thanks Pam, she says thank you for the snuggle from your bunsters :)

I just need to get her eating a bit more to put some weight on! At the mo she is only really interested in hay, grass + parsley!

Back