• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pippa having her op

nicolar

Mama Doe
Well, Pippa has gone in for her op! I am a bag of nerves every time the phone rings! Spoke to the vet this morning and although she isn't 100% happy about her condition and general health, she feels we would be condemning her if we didn't try to operate. I'm really worried as I know the op is riskier because she isn't 100%, hopefully she can remove the lump + Pippa will get through the anaesthetic OK. I've got everything crossed and I have to ring between half two and three. I've got a long 3 hours in store!!!

Nicola

Oh I do feel like an early morning drink!! I'm trying to keep busy, got a bedroom to tidy which should take me up to when I need to call the vets!! My stomach is doing butterflies at the mo, I'm dreading the phone ringing!

I was telling my Mum about the fantastic work that Jay does with all her bunnies who are ill, my Mum was like I don't think you would be able to do that, you would never cope! I tend to agree with her, anybody who regularly takes in sick bunsters is an angel :D I can cope with one or two but I'm afraid not more, I'd be a constant bag of nerves!!

ooooh All well wishes and lots of vibes coming to Pippa! Let us know how she is when you ring hte vet XXXX

Thanku Phill - I will be straight on here to update once I have rung the vets! Will prob be on the dot of half two as I won't be able to wait any longer! The longer I go without a phone call, the more hopeful I am that all will be well :)

Sending loads of snuggles and good vibes for little Pippa - come on lass you can do this and be home for snuggles with mum in no time. :wink:

oh my god - i know exactly how you feel as i went through this worry when cheeky was in . The last op he got was when he was in poor health but he came through . She really is in the best possible hands . sending you calming vibes and healing vibes for pippa . xx

(cheeky will watch over her and bring her safely home to you . xx)

Thanks Kerry, Lany and Gina :) Gina, that last comment made me cry, lovely Cheeky, I'm sure he is watching over her, her guardian angel. When she does go to join him, I'm sure he will look after her.

I've just heard from the vet and it's a mixture of good + bad news. The good news is that all she had to do was stitch her up + wake her up, and that she had managed to remove the lump :)

Bad news part is that it is a tumour and it looks quite nasty according to Sue - could be the type of tumour that has already spread elsewhere :( Think she was ringing while Pip was still aslep to see whether I wanted to wake her up - which of course I do, my baby will have every chance possible. I can understand though that some people may not want to go through that or have the extra vet bills, but I really want to give her a go.

I would never let her suffer and it may be that she only has a few more weeks left - whatever time she has left will be very special + I know I'll know when the time is right. I don't feel it is time to let her go yet, I need to give her that chance to live else I will only regret it. Do you think I'm making the right decision?

She has lost quite a bit of weight in a couple of months - 3.6kg in June down to 2.7kg today, a fair amount but I'm thinking that the tumour has prob drained her resources. Luckily she wasn't a skinny bunster to start with - I always knew there was a reason why she had a bit extra :lol: I feel that she needs lots of TLC and building up, but I do accept that if she remains unhappy + isn't improving it will be time to go to the Bridge.

I just want what is best for her, and until I can give her that chance to get better I just don't know. I've got to ring later at about half past 3 to check how she is doing.

Thanks for all the support, I couldn't have got through this otherwise.

Nicola

hi

Glad she's come through the op Nicola - sorry it's not a good outlook though - but rabbits only take one day at a time, they don't worry about the future - they live in the present...So long as Pippa is getting some enjoyment from each day then she's doing well, so just take it a day at a time like she does - Hopefully she'll beat it now and get her strength back :)

Thanks Elve, that's my outlook now too, just a day at a time. I've been thinking it through for the past hour + chatting to a friend who is very knowledgable about rabbits, and I will just take it one day at a time and see how things go.

I hope she gets her strength back, she will be getting lots of TLC and the best care, so if anybody has any tips on any herbal remedies or food to put weight back on then just post 'em here :)

I'm just relieved she got through the anaesthetic!!

aww im glad she came through the op nicolar Xx Give her some big bunny nose rubs from me XXXX

Thanks Phill, I will do when I see her :) If she has to stay in tonight I'll go see her and take all the snuggles and nose rubs from you guys and also some tasty veggies to get her eating :)

aawww im glad she has got through the op ok. Sorry to hear the news isnt great but at least she will be able to come back home with you and her other friends soon. Hugs to you both.

Thanks Chris. I am very glad she will be back home with me, Amy and Princess soon :) I am sad that the outlook isn't brill but I won't be giving up on her!! I'm going to ring the vets in a min to see how she is doing.

Will prob get some of the Essiac Tea tincture that has been mentioned in other posts, is there anything else that I can try that anybody knows of?

Nicola

Have just spoken to the vets and I have an appointment at 10 to 5 with Sue, the vet who did her op. Not sure if I'll be able to bring her home, as by the sounds of it she is still quite sleepy although she has eaten :) Gonna take some parsley for her in case she does have to stay in, as she loves that! :D

Nicola

Back