• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peanut

Krinnie

Young Bun
I buy large bags of peanuts; the unsalted variety. I have 4 hamsters in my zoo here and they absolutely adore them; recently I've been pre-shelling and pre-cutting carrots to have handy as I have both in large quantities; I ran a search on the forums and saw the opinion of two people approving of peanuts (but not often) and I'd like to see active members opinon on the matter. I think Floyd smells the bag because he seems rather curious :shock:

There's nothing in them but peanut; literally has one ingredient posted on the bag: roasted peanuts.

If you were to give peanuts to rabbits i would buy the uncooked kind! also too many will be bad for them but one now and again as an occaisional treat would be fine!

hi

Hamsters need nuts in their diets - rabbits most definitely don't - They need a low protein, low fat, high fibre diet, whereas hamsters can even be given meat to eat - All rabbits need is hay, a few pellets and veg/grass.

Re: hi

elve said:
Hamsters need nuts in their diets - rabbits most definitely don't - They need a low protein, low fat, high fibre diet, whereas hamsters can even be given meat to eat - All rabbits need is hay, a few pellets and veg/grass.

Hmm, that's right I forgot about fellow hamster people buying worms and crickets for hamsters; as well as bits of chicken. I know rabbits didn't need nuts :p just wondering if it'd be ok.

Here's another one that crosses the mind, Chinchilla loves raisins and those are around; rabbit safe as a very far apart (timewise) treat? I know fresh fruit/veggies is much better which is why I'd never even consider buying any kind of rabbit mixes, and what about grapes for that matter?

I also ask because I found out raisins/grapes can cause; I believe it was kidney damage in dogs, and dogs are rather hardy.

Phill said:
If you were to give peanuts to rabbits i would buy the uncooked kind! also too many will be bad for them but one now and again as an occaisional treat would be fine!

Don't believe I've ever seen uncooked peanuts...O-well the hamsters gobble them up :B fine...not to mention my brother; although I don't know how he can stand many without the salt.

Phill said:
You can buy large bags of uncooked peanuts from pet shops there usually in the bird isle

Never seen em at Petco or Petsmart for that matter, just the mixes; We do have a specialty birdstore a town over where we get things for the Parakeet but I don't believe I've seen them there; then again I've never looked that closely!...Petco is a different story; all over the place there.

Thank You for the quick response :p Perhaps stick to the no peanut thing with the rabbits; but again, good to know.

Krinnie said:
elve said:

Here's another one that crosses the mind, Chinchilla loves raisins and those are around; rabbit safe as a very far apart (timewise) treat? I know fresh fruit/veggies is much better which is why I'd never even consider buying any kind of rabbit mixes, and what about grapes for that matter?

I also ask because I found out raisins/grapes can cause; I believe it was kidney damage in dogs, and dogs are rather hardy.

Hi Krinnie

You need to be careful with any amount of sugary treats for bunnies as its so difficult to upset their delicate gut flora and cause problems - raisins and grapes contain sugars.

I used to give my bunnies a very, very occasional treat of organic raisins but I don't know as I'm sure it didn't do my bunny any good as she's prone to gut statis and I've never given them grapes so carn't help on that one but I'd take care on any treats which contain sugars - you just carn't beat Hay, Hay and more hay its the most natural and beneficial thing for them along with a balanced diet of veggies and small amount of dried pellet food.

Hope this helps :wink:

hi

I think bunnies have such a boring diet by our standards that it's so tempting to give them 'treats' - but what they've never had they don't miss...Benny is never interested in human food - he begs for hay (oh those big brown eyes!) - But the girls must have had snacks I think as I took my breakfast outside once and it was hilarious the way they reacted as I sat there eating...I've never had them all sit rock still for soooo long - If they'd have been dogs there would have been a pool of drool at their feet :lol: (no of course I didn't give them any!)

elve said:
I think bunnies have such a boring diet by our standards that it's so tempting to give them 'treats' - but what they've never had they don't miss...Benny is never interested in human food - he begs for hay (oh those big brown eyes!) - But the girls must have had snacks I think as I took my breakfast outside once and it was hilarious the way they reacted as I sat there eating...I've never had them all sit rock still for soooo long - If they'd have been dogs there would have been a pool of drool at their feet :lol: (no of course I didn't give them any!)

I've had Floyd beg for yogurt :p (Didn't give him any of course)

My oldest rabbit adores the yogurt drops, which a little tiny bag like that lasts quite a while since she rarely gets them. I actually bought some of the yogurt chips and broke one them into little pieces and offered them to the babies, they didn't take to them like Maple did so that's fine by me :p

That'd be funny to see a rabbit beg quite that long :p

BTW Floyd is a funny chap, he rejects carrots half the time he gets them.

Hi Krinnie

You need to be careful with any amount of sugary treats for bunnies as its so difficult to upset their delicate gut flora and cause problems - raisins and grapes contain sugars.

I used to give my bunnies a very, very occasional treat of organic raisins but I don't know as I'm sure it didn't do my bunny any good as she's prone to gut statis and I've never given them grapes so carn't help on that one but I'd take care on any treats which contain sugars - you just carn't beat Hay, Hay and more hay its the most natural and beneficial thing for them along with a balanced diet of veggies and small amount of dried pellet food.

Hope this helps :wink:[/quote]

Of course, I'd never think of giving them anything I knew was sugary often; thank you for the advisery though :D I lost a wee one to gut stasis :( (Didn't catch it as there was 3 in the cage and poos alll over) I haven't quite figured that out yet...Think my Mum gave them too many carrots for their little tum. (At the least she doesn't seem to interested on figuring out how to open up the dog crate the two are in so I can monitor snacks.)

Krinnie said:
Of course, I'd never think of giving them anything I knew was sugary often; thank you for the advisery though :D I lost a wee one to gut stasis :( (Didn't catch it as there was 3 in the cage and poos alll over) I haven't quite figured that out yet...Think my Mum gave them too many carrots for their little tum. (At the least she doesn't seem to interested on figuring out how to open up the dog crate the two are in so I can monitor snacks.)

Awww sorry to hear about your loss - yep I think its easy to forget that Carrot too can be high in sugars if too many given.

elve said:
But the girls must have had snacks I think as I took my breakfast outside once and it was hilarious the way they reacted as I sat there eating...I've never had them all sit rock still for soooo long - If they'd have been dogs there would have been a pool of drool at their feet :lol: (no of course I didn't give them any!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: - Hey and just where was your camera at the time :lol: :lol: - that would have made a brill picky :wink:

hi

:lol: Yeah I never have my camera at 'those' moments - should strap it to my forehead with a remote trigger by blinking!

Yesterday I missed a brilliant photo opportunity when Primrose perfected the art of toilet training by standing on a brick on the drain surround and peeing right into the drain - it'll never happen again! :roll:

bunnytales said:

You mean it's so "easy"?

Back