• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another gabriel update

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
well i cant remember when i last signed in here, but i feel like i live at the vets! Gabriel has been to the vets now every two weeks since the day i got him :shock:

3 weeks ago he had a skin scraping done to check for mites, and some skin scrapings were sent off to be tested for a fungal infection. the skin scraping showed no signs of mites(although this could be because he had already had two treatments for it. i was back at the vets last week and his results were back on his fungal test-they were negative. the vet still seems to think he has ringworm though and told me that even when results come back negative it is still possible for him to have a fungal problem-is this true?

because of how much trouble i had trying to get him to have the tablets she gave me for his ringworm she has given me some hibitane, and said to apply it to the affected areas twice daily. she has also gave me the name of two creams that can be bought from the chemist-one was canasten(sp?), not sure of the name of the other right now. i just wanted to make sure that everything i have been told is correct?

as far as his skin goes, its quite strange because alot of the patches have cleared up, but new ones have appeared-does this sound like ringworm?

his eye is still runny and she thinks this will be a problem he will have for the rest of his life, and that all i can really do is bathe it. just to update you all, the vet had tried to flush his right tear duct but it was blocked. so ive been told to continue with the drops until they are gone, and bathe the eye daily.

Gabriel was also given his myxo vac last week and will be having his HVD vac next week. im also sure that his testicles are going to drop soon-Gabriel is sure keeping us busy! this little boy has cost us a fortune-but hes sure as hell worth it! :wink: :D

sorry for such a huge thread, id appreciate if anyone has any advice for me!

hi

Aww poor Gabriel is going through it isn't he? Can't be much fun for you either, unless you always had ambitions to be a nurse - Your vet sounds like she's doing all the right stuff - I wouldn't know about ringworm in bunnies but when I was a child I had rings of fungal infection on my arms (probably ringworm I guess now) which lay dormant and reappeared here and there - it flared up from being stressed I think with a weak immune system - so Gabriel could well have ringworm as it's hard to eradicate fungal infections. Canestan is the stuff for fungal infections or thrush - all chemists sell it over the counter.

I wouldn't vaccinate a stressed animal, but it depends on how high the risk is where you are - it all takes its toll on the immune system...

Once he's neutered and hormones down I would guess a female friend to wash his face might save you some work too?

Good luck with him - you're wonderful for being so devoted to this little fella :)

Re: hi

elve said:
Once he's neutered and hormones down I would guess a female friend to wash his face might save you some work too?

Good luck with him - you're wonderful for being so devoted to this little fella :)

Awww Poor Fella and poor you - we all know how exhausting it can be when these little bundles of trouble go through the mill - Ditto to all Elve has said here and the pal to wash his face really does work - Buffy had occassional teary eyes and there has been a great difference now Cagney washes her eyes for her - I found during flare ups that cold tea was very soothing too along with Veterinary cream Chloromycetin.

Back