• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nasty bite to his chin

Karly

Banned
Had a bit of a rearrange, so I didn't have to keep stepping over cages to get around my room. Anyway, I had a spare cage at the end so went to take it outside, forgetting to shut the door of the cage I'd just put the mini rex into! I came upstairs to find him sitting quitely in front of Joey's crate, quite amazed as Joey's rather nasty to anyone through the bars, but then realised the reason why - Joey's given the rex a nasty bite to his chin!
There was lots and lots of blood :? I've cleaned it up with hibiscrub, and put antiseptic wound powder on, which helped stem the bleed but as soon as I put him back he groomed it off. Repeated the hibiscrub and wound powder and the bleeding stopped, but he groomed himself again so he might make it start bleeding again :?
He seems very stressed out - I think he was shocked by the bite and was just sitting there, but he hates being held and then I had to go and hold him for ages to clean it up and get a look at it, so that wasn't a nice experience for him at all.
I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow evening, but what can I do in the mean time, other than keep it clean and apply the wound powder to help stop it bleeding?
Trust my only bun with healthy teeth to be the one willing to use them straight away :roll:

If it continiues to bleed like that I would suggest taking him to an emergancy vet. If that is not possible, keep applying the meds and hopefully it will stop. Keep an eye on the wound and keep us updated :D

It seems to have stopped now, and he's munching away at his dinner so he mustn't be in too much pain if he's OK to eat.
On a related topic..how do I get blood out of clothes? :shock: I was still in my work uniform (too shattered to get changed!), which is now smeared in blood!

Awww, I'm glad to hear that he is feeling better. If he is eating, he should be just fine, just keep an eye on the wound for the next few days to make sure that it is healing and that he isn't in much pain.

As for the blood stain, I know they are very tricky and sometimes you cant get them out all of the way. I just use a regular stain removing treatment and then put it into the wash, it usually comes out. But I'm sure you will get a better answer from someone with a bit more experience.

Well, good luck and I'm glad he is feeling better!

Rinse the worst of the blood out with cold water then apply a stain devil for blood then wash at 40oC - usually works!

Caz

What is Joey? A bird? Another rabbit?

Anyhow, I have a similar blood related injury before on my 1st rabbit.

With a wound like that, the rabbit must be on anti-biotics, there is no choice. There can easily be bacteria inside the wound by now.

Joey's the mini lop in my avatar.
I think since I caught it almost immediately and flushed it totally out with hibiscrub (it was quite open/flappy, and I used a syringe to squirt it right in) and put the powder on, it gave it the chance to start to heal with no bacteria in it. It's looking much better today, though I did take him to the vet for a second opinion. The vet said what I've done so far is the best thing to do, keep washing it with hibiscrub and just take him back in to go onto antibiotics if it doesn't seem to be healing or becomes swollen.
He's eating fine though, so it can't be too painful or he'd probably not want to be moving his mouth around. In fact, he's pigging out on the new hay I got for them all to try!

Probably no help at all to you but if you get your own blood on your clothes then you can get it out using your own saliva. I think I read that there is an enzyme that breaks down the stain.........

anyways... back on topic.

Glad he's eating and seems fine.

Back