• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tumour?

SDlaura

Young Bun
Do rabbits can tumours?

My rabbit (Princess Aurora) has lots of fur under her chin, and when I went to examine it she wouldn't let me touch.

We thought she might be pregnant because she was pulling fur out but it's been well over 4 weeks and her partner is spayed. She stopped pulling out her fur 2-3 weeks ago.

Rabbits can get tumours and abcesses. However, my bunnies don't like being touched under the chin. Itmay be worth a trip to the vets to check it out.
As for the fur pulling, lady bunnies do have phantom pregnancies - it could be that. I remember the first time one of my bunnies started building a nest - it was so cute.

when you say tumours do you mean as in cancer . If so then yes . female bunnys are prone to cancer of the uterus in later life unless they are dressed , it could also be that she has had a phantom pregnancy as the fur pulling from the dewlap is common when building a nest . Is there an obvious lump ?... fur pulling can have many causes from the one I mentioned to boredom, skin irritation etc . Best to get her checked over by the vet if in doubt .
I,m sorry , I had to laugh at your post . I make spelling mistakes like everyone else does when typing but I had to laugh when i read the he had been spaded - I got a little image of the female bunny beating him up for some strange reason . I,m not trying to be nasty as when i type things they come out wrong . I sent an email around my work saying that I was busy and that my phone was diverted - what I actually typed was that I was "busty" lol

Hehe I'm a dope. :D

I can't feel a lump but that because she won't let me touch her neck. I'm worried about her. I was expecting a litter from her (not breed on purpose) because of the fur pulling but it's been weeks... :(

Busty hehe cute :)

you will find that rabbits detest being touched under the chin so her reaction is normal . If you were expecting a litter then it could have been a phantom pregnancy , it certainly sounds that way but I would still get her to the vets just to be on the safe side and to out your mind at rest .

No worries, you're not nasty! :)

I'm hoping she's not going to have a litter, as our other female has just had a litter of 7.

The two females got accidently pregnant a couple months ago and had 12 between. Seperated them from babies and got their partners spayed. We put Betty and Dash together after a couple of weeks like the vet advised, but left Princess and Bear a little longer. Betty gave birth 3 weeks ago.

We kept 3 males from the last litter :wink: left one with his mummy (Bear and Princess) and two males live on their own. So now we have 6 rabbits! Plus 7 kits!

The kits are ever so cute, they emerged from the nesting box. They are marvelous colours. There are tan, grey, black, tan/white English, Grey white English x2, and another grey/tanny/white mix. I can't wait to post their pictures because they are beautiful.

well as a rabbit pregnancy is about 31/32 days and it is longer than that since she displayed symptoms - it may have been a phantom pregnancy . If she is till within that timescale then she could be pregnant ??

SDlaura said:
I'm hoping she's not going to have a litter, as our other female has just had a litter of 7.

The two females got accidently pregnant a couple months ago and had 12 between. Seperated them from babies and got their partners spayed. We put Betty and Dash together after a couple of weeks like the vet advised, but left Princess and Bear a little longer. Betty gave birth 3 weeks ago.

I think normally the recommended time scale for popping bunnies back together after spaying and castrations is at least 4/6 weeks so to avoid any further accidents it might be worth reading up on some of the posts of here to give you more information in this area - mind you, you'd think the Vet would know wouldn't you :roll:

I hope you find loving homes for the baby bunnies.

bunnytales said:
SDlaura said:

I think normally the recommended time scale for popping bunnies back together after spaying and castrations is at least 4/6 weeks so to avoid any further accidents it might be worth reading up on some of the posts of here to give you more information in this area - mind you, you'd think the Vet would know wouldn't you :roll:

I hope you find loving homes for the baby bunnies.

I wanted to leave them longer but my mum wanted to put them back together because of what the vet said. I said leave it a month! That's mum's for you.. :)

The kits are adorable though. They keep coming out! :) Running around!

Although they are really tiny. They fit into my hand and they are 3 weeks old.

I took her to the vet today, they said it was babyweight!

She has to get some more exercise and go on a diet.

The vet said a tablespoon of food a day!!! That doesn't sound too good!

a tablespoon of pellet food is just fine for her. Just as long as she gets plenty of hay/dried grass to eat aswell.. it is better for her digestion aswell as her weight. Glad to hear that she isnt pregnant after all.
Hope you find homes for all your babies.. they sound lovely.

Back