• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I believe my neighbour is being cruel to her rabbits.

Xanthe

New Kit
Hi - I only registered here to have a discussion about this. I live in a block of flats in London where a neighbour permanantly keeps three rabbits in a small cage. These are three huge fully grown rabbits which (to my knowledge) are never allowed out of a carrying cage type of thing in which they live. My neighbour is Italian (with a very different cultural atiitude to animal welfare) and she travels a lot (leaving her cleaner to look after the animals in her absence). The lease to all of our flats states 'no pets' which is the reason for her keeping the animals out of sight - and also the reason why she cannot have a properly built run on the premisis. The situation has been the cause of endless rows between various people living here; outrage that she has pets here at all, and outrage that she doesn't seem to look after them properly. A different neighbour (who has since moved out) reported her to the RSPCA, and a site visit followed, but the animals were let out of the cage for the inspection and promises about re-homing were made (but never kept).

Any advice?

Hiya,

It would be worth contacting the RSPCA again and making another complaint. They should have the previous one on record so could then check back to ensure the changes promised were made.

The other thing to do would be to complain to the landlord. If he/she is strict on the no pets policy should could face the option between rehoming them or being evicted.

The other thing to do would be to approach her with a story such as my neice/friend or a friend is looking for some rabbits and you heard she was concidering rehoming them. Would she be interested in you taking them. You could then hand them over to a rescue for rehoming.

Tamsin

Hi Tamsin

And thank you for your reply. I have considered contacting the RSPCA, but I realise that doing so will probably cause an argument (and a horrible tension) between me and this woman - as it did last time with the person who complained before and then left.

The problem is that this isn't an archetypal case of neglect; it's a prestigious block of flats, the person involved is a doctor, the rabbits aren't in ill health or starving and so it's easy to see why the RSPCA may not think it serious enough to take any action. After all there are thousands of animals in far worse conditions that probably have a much worthier cause for their time and action.

As I see it, your last idea seems the least confrontational and practical, but my neighbour would definitely want to know where they are going. I know nothing about animals (I checked with a rabbit loving friend, sending her a pic of the rabbits to make sure that my suspicions of cruelty were right before I posted). Do you know of a re-homing service that I might contact on her behalf? I may find a way forward with this if I could find some good legitimate homes.

Where abouts in the UK are you? I'll see if I know any rescues near you :)

You could also try giving her some information. The RWA do a range of leaflets you could send off for and then pass on to her. E.g. say someone gave them to you and you thought she might like them as she has rabbits.

The RWA contact details are here: http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/RWA/contact.htm

Tamsin

URL=http://imageshack.us]
p10100036uv.jpg
[/URL]

Here's the pic that I posted to my friend (just wondered what your thoughts on their situation is)

I live in North London, in the Highgate area.

Oh my god! Thats too small for one rabbit let alone three! They must be so miserable in there. I hope you can help them. Can't you report her to the RSPCA anonymously?

I would say that's much too small for three rabbits. It's probably designed as an indoor cage for one rabbit (or guineapig) when the rabbits have the run of the house. I'd also be worried about it getting very hot inside with the warmer weather.

There are a few rescues near you:

The Mayhew Animal Home
Trenmar Gardens, London, NW10 6BJ
Tel: 020 8969 0178

Bobtails Rabbit and Guinea Pig Rescue
44 Arundel Avenue, East Ewell, Surrey, KT17 2RG
Tel: 020 8393 2016

GBH (Guinea, Bunny and Hamster Rescue)
Beckenhamm, BR3 4AZ
Tel: 020 8658 5452

Tamsin

I've just joined a Fora and immediately stretched it :(

I'm not very compulit, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't report her anonymously because then it just seems like a cowardly neighbour dispute. She'd know it was me anyway (I think). I don't have a problem with giving my name to them - it's more that I just don't think that they'll do anything (because they didn't last time) anyway, and I'll be left with an atmosphere but no solution.

On the other hand of course, I feel really uncomfortable knowing this is going on - particularly as you've just confirmed what my friend said, Estelle.

Oh dear God, those poor buns :cry: :cry: That is sooo cruel - please can you try some way of getting them out? A rescue would help in some ways - Animal Samaritans are based in London and they do wonderful work.
I can't believe that people can be so cruel - hang on, yes I can, we have enough buns here to say that people are cruel and what the poor wee things have to go through :cry: :cry:

omg that is discusting, and you have a juty to those poor bunnys to ring the rspca, as far as i am aware you dont have to withhold your info to them but they dont pass it on to the person, also they dont tell the person they are visiting, they just visit,...... i would definately try again for the sake of these buns, if there is anything i can help with pleae dont hesitate to ask. if you can get them out of there i will take them

Eve x

I'm honestly far from comfortable the more I know about it. But I feel like such a snitch - even talking to you on here. The whole business of reporting someone to official bodies is loaded with potential stuff that feels interfering and dishonest in ways I can't quite describe. Also, the last time she was reported, she telephoned the RSPCA and they told her who had called them anyway. She then went round to this girl's flat and called her everything. I work from home, I'm here all the time, I don't like confrontational arguments (much less an unpleasant atmosphere) BUT I do agree with you Eve in that I have a duty to do something. It just has to be the right thing to sort the situation in the best way for everyone, including the rabbits of course.

When the RSCPA made their inspection call incidentally, no one was in so they left a card asking to make an appointment (what's the point of that???)

I do think that the RSPCA don't take animal cruelty seriously if it involves middle class professionals. Which is interesting in itself when you think about it.

You can always leave the rspca as plan B and try exploring the other options first. If it can be settled amicably then thats a good option. Neighbour disputes can get quite nasty so I can see why you don't want to do anything that can cause problems.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Xanthe said:
I'm honestly far from comfortable the more I know about it. But I feel like such a snitch - even talking to you on here. The whole business of reporting someone to official bodies is loaded with potential stuff that feels interfering and dishonest in ways I can't quite describe. Also, the last time she was reported, she telephoned the RSPCA and they told her who had called them anyway. She then went round to this girl's flat and called her everything. I work from home, I'm here all the time, I don't like confrontational arguments (much less an unpleasant atmosphere) BUT I do agree with you Eve in that I have a duty to do something. It just has to be the right thing to sort the situation in the best way for everyone, including the rabbits of course.

When the RSCPA made their inspection call incidentally, no one was in so they left a card asking to make an appointment (what's the point of that???)

I do think that the RSPCA don't take animal cruelty seriously if it involves middle class professionals. Which is interesting in itself when you think about it.

i understand your prodicterment (sp?) but you really need to do something that is cruelity however you look at it! personally i would call the rspca and explain your previous dealing with them, and show them the evidence! or call a local rescue and see if they can get involved!

or give us her details and we will ring them on behalf of the rabbits!

eve x

I'll have a think about it an explore the options. At least (thanks to you guys) I know a lot more (and I've got those numbers and links) now. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

I guess that if any of you know someone in the London area who would like one of these rabbits as a pet, then do please send me a PM.

Xanthe said:
I'll have a think about it an explore the options. At least (thanks to you guys) I know a lot more (and I've got those numbers and links) now. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

I guess that if any of you know someone in the London area who would like one of these rabbits as a pet, then do please send me a PM.

hi there i am in the london area and if you can arrange to get these bunnies out i will take them all! let me know

thanks eve x

Xanthe said:

Can you get any assistance from your local council? My council has a department which deals with animal welfare issues and everything is handled anonymously. I have previously reported a neighbour and a pet shop for ill treatment of a dog and rabbits/guinea pigs.

I know this is a difficult issue but please be brave and help these bunnies. Do not be intimidated and let this awful woman have the upper hand over you or indeed the bunnies. Remember, you are not interfering and you are not being dishonest.........you are simply doing what is right.

Good luck.

I've just looked at that picture again and by the looks of the cage thing that they are in it is about the same size as the ones that my two hammies have :shock: I have two Russian hammies and you know how small they are - well, their cage is roughly the same size as the one that those poor, poor buns are in :shock:
I am disgusted - this should not be allowed.
These buns need to be got out of there pronto - show the picture to the RSPCA - then again, they are not always that good.
Can Animal Samaritans do anything about it?

Back