• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping, what age?

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
Flopsy's nails are getting longer now and it can be quite painful picking him up if he is feeling a bit ratty. He is only 11 weeks old. How old can he be before his nails can be trimmed? I don't want him to be stressed in any way, so not sure about the best way to go about it. He has been used to his run being on grass so far, but this will soon change when we put slabs under the run. From previous posts I see that this will help keep his nails filed. I cannot believe how much he has mowed the lawn in an 8ftx5ft run in such a short time! We keep moving it around on the lawn, but we don't seem to need a lawn mower any more! He has plenty of food (pellets, hay, veg etc.) and water, but he seems to love eating grass. Is this ok? So far he is not a digger thank god. Will it be ok to deprive him of the grass that he loves to eat?

flopsy.gif

hi

My girls are 8 months and have never had their nails cut - but they're not over-long - I think rabbits do have pretty scratchy nails as they can't retract them like cats do - just pick him up in a long-sleeved top (and no low-necked tops for ladies either :shock: )

You can get the vet to clip them, or buy mikki clippers which are like scissors - just nip the very tip off though or you may cut the blood supply...If you do make a nail bleed then dip it in cornflour to stop the bleeding (or pref styptic powder if you have any) and make sure it doesn't get infected - Vetzyme do antibacterial powder available in most pet shops, which is handy to have around.

With the grass, mine are on concrete all the time - I just let part of my garden grow long and pick them a lovely big handful every morning - But of course it stops growing in winter anyway (and I cut my 'lawn' for the first time in months last week!) - so now I just give them some nice grassy hay, easy to find at this time of year from a farm shop or greengrocers etc - or if I run out of that - dried grass/forage in a dish - keeps them happy for half an hour :)

Claws can be clipped at any age but as has been said be careful not to cut the quick. If you are unsure your vet will be able to show you.

Rabbits are very good lawn mowers, with such a youngster just be careful he doesn't get an upset tummy, but if he has been brought up on grass then he shouldn't do :D My rabbits love running around the garden and munch on plants and grass all day, very good for their teeth too :)

i dont cut my rabbits nails untill till they are 5 months old at least i wouldnt cut them just yet cause they will be too thin and small iv got some at 16 weeks old very sharp but not long, babies nails r only thin bit like needles theys why they hurt more i get my nasty scratches off babies as they pierce the skin easyer
becky

remember there are blood vessel if you cut too deep, so I just let it grow slightly longer than it should without the nail curls in, to block his hand/leg movement. Then I cut it a bit at a time on each nail once every 2 weeks.

A rabbit as young as your shouldn't need to cut any nail.

I've never had a bunny that young so can't really say what age you can cut a buns nails, but if you're unsure about cutting them properly you could just nick the end off so they aren't so sharp when you pick him up?

As for how to do it with my first two buns one person held the bun in their arms and the other cut the claws, however Lavender really doesn't like it so we tried a different way with her. Actually, today was the first time and it worked really well. We put her towel on top of their cage (they have a big dog crate with a board on the top) and place her on it. My other half held her a bit, fussed her lots and talked to her while I picked up one of her back feet and cut the nails. Then we put her on the floor and gave her a treat. No hassle. Am intending to do one foot a day until they're all done.

I know some people wrap their buns in towels to cut their claws, others just sit them on their laps, some people take the bun to the vets - you really have to work out what is best for you and your rabbit.

Hope that helps.

When giving advise to people that are not sure when to clip nails i would say when they are visable beyond the hair of the foot, then if u only cut back to the hair ur almost certain of not cutting too much of. Young rabbits nails are very thin when they are small so very sharp my advise would be to just cut the very tip off so they are a little blunter. val

that's right, I forgot to mention that.

New RAbbit owner: If you put his paw under the sun, you can see the blood vessel going to a certain pt. and stop from that pt. on. You can cut the nail a little bit at a time, close to but not at that blood vessl pt.

Has he had all injections yet? You could take him to the vet when he gets them done and ask for a demo. If hes been jabbed just take him along anyway. They might hold him for you and you can do it when you know what to do

Back