• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rex moulting

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
My rex rabbit Honey is moulting and she gets tufts of fur sticking out of her coat. The rabbit brush I have doesn't work very well on her rex fur and I end up pulling the tufts off every now and then. Theres always loads of tufts sticking out, it takes a while for me to make her fur look even again so I was wondering if there were any brushes specifically made for rexes? Or is there any other way I could 'brush' her with something else?

I was asking the same question the other day as Beau is looking very moth eaten at the moment and the cat moulting comb that works fine on the normal coated buns gets nothing out of him- I was recommended to buy a Zoom Groom - I will try and find a piccy of one - I found one in Jollyes - they are rubbery and designed for cats - I was amazed at how much hair it got out.

You really need a comb as brushes only do the surface they don't get the loose fur out from in the coat.

I use a cat flea comb as they have nice fine teeth.

Tam

i know rexes can moult really bad and sometimes its like pealing an orange :lol: i dont brush my rexes at all only in necessary places like the bum area and chest and belly. the best thing to use is to dampen ur hands with water and rub backwards this fetches out the dead hairs i also used witch hazel and sometimes a tiny bit a liquid parrafin which adds a bit of shin and thickness
becky

Oh excellent! Thanks everyone, I didn't think there would be much of a response, I didn't think there was much I could do about it :D I'll definately be looking for one of those types of brushes in my local pet shops I'm sure I've seen them before, and I think I'll be getting a fine-toothed comb anyway as I've recently got a lionhead and his fur is quite long. :)
I've heard about people wetting their hands or cloths and wiping them over their rexes, I've found it doesn't take much of the loose fur off though. There seems to be quite a lot of loose fur on her, thats the problem, I was thinking it was probably worth trying to get most of it off by grooming her otherwise she will swallow it when she grooms herself, is that right? Could that cause a problem? I know if that happens to cats they just cough up a furball but can rabbits do that too?

Back