• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

FLY STRIKE - Update, she's fine

HS

Wise Old Thumper
I know we are all aware of this issue, and I thought I was too. Until this morning when I had to take Nougat to the vet and have them pick maggots out of her. Sorry if this is gruesome. I took the decision not to use rearguard because of the chemicals in it, and thought the organic route would be better. I WAS WRONG!!!!!
I have never experienced anything so awful. My poor little girl, and it was all my fault. I rescued her to give her a good home, but nearly killed her with what almost seems like neglect.
Please, please, please be aware of this. Use chemicals if you have to, anything so that this doesn't happen.
Nougat seems to be ok. Apparently it was caught in time. I still need to flush out her wound, pick out any remaining maggots and apply cream to where her skin has been chewed off. She has however, just eaten a bowlful of greens.
I'm so proud of her. She didn't make a fuss at all at the vets. I've let her down so badly.

Got everything crossed for Nougat, hope you can get through this.
Don't be too harsh on yourself; a friend of mine (who's devoted to his buns) had this happen a little while ago. You're trying to do your best for her, no-one can ask more than that.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Jo

I'm so sorry to hear that and so glad that you spotted it in time! I had a rabbit die of fly strike whilst my parents were looking after her last year, it really is horrible and so upsetting as you feel that you've let the bunny down! :cry:

Needless to say this year my outdoor bunnies have been rear guarded, fly papers put up in the shed and their run surrounded by mint, lemon balm and lavender plants!!! I think there's less flies round them now than there are in my house! :D

its soo not your fault, I think this year has been really bad for flies this year, feel like I have spent all summer chasing them out the house, you got her to the vet on time, hope she heals quick, hugs to you all :)

I've just been out to flush the wound out, expecting maggots, and none came! I'm really scared that any left in are too deep. DOes anyone have any experience of this? I'm hoping the vet got most of them out and I just have to do this as a precaution. Anyone?

Good luck Helen, I'm afraid I have no experience. After reading your post I went to re-check Pippa's bottom, altho slightly dirty, no maggots! I'm a bit worried I wouldn't know what they looked like, were they easy to recognise?

Aww Helen don't blaim yourself please! I hope lil Nougat us feeling better and that it clears up quickly XXX

Apparently the eggs look like clumps of yellowish dandruff. Unfortunately Nougat must have been struck yesterday, so when I checked her this morning there were already maggots on her bottom. They develop so quickly. This is the worst thing I've ever had to do (You can tell I've never had kids!!) but Nougat seems much stronger than me! She's in the garage resting at the moment, and I'm wondering when to put Bobby in with her. She's fine, but he gets quite depressed on his own. I think I'll leave them for now.

I am so sorry that this has happened to Nougat and please don't blame yourself, its one of those awful things that can happen to anyone :( I'm glad that you caught it in time and that she is going to be okay.

I wouldn't worry I'm sure the vet would have got all the maggots out and the flushing was just a precaution! I have had kids but I think fly strike was worse to deal with than anything they can produce!!!

I hope she gets better soon! Fingers crossed for her! x

Thanks so much for all of your kind thoughts and words. This really is a fantastic forum.
I'll keep you updated on Nougat's progress.

Just been out again to flush the wound. Still no maggots. Which I should be pleased bout, but I'm so worried they're where they shouldn't be. Bless her. Her skin looks so sore, but she's eating, pooing and weeing, so I'm just keeping everything crossed that she'll be ok.

Awww sending snuggles to little Nougat - what a brave girl she is - as others have said here don't be hard on yourself, its been a really bad year for flies as its been soooo humid - the little blighters seem to be everywhere - mine are house bunns but I've still been doing the "mad fandango" racing around to get them out of the house.

I'm sure your little girl will be fine as it looks like you've caught things in good time.

Hi everyone. Nougat seems to be fine. She's still eating, healing up nicely, no more maggots found.
I put Bobby in with her, but she mounted him straight away, and he seemed distressed and she seemed upset - so I've separated them again. This is not normal behaviour for these two, but I guess she is feeling ou of sorts.

Re: FLY STRIKE - Help?

HS said:
I know we are all aware of this issue, and I thought I was too. Until this morning when I had to take Nougat to the vet and have them pick maggots out of her. Sorry if this is gruesome. I took the decision not to use rearguard because of the chemicals in it, and thought the organic route would be better. I WAS WRONG!!!!!
I have never experienced anything so awful. My poor little girl, and it was all my fault. I rescued her to give her a good home, but nearly killed her with what almost seems like neglect.
Please, please, please be aware of this. Use chemicals if you have to, anything so that this doesn't happen.
Nougat seems to be ok. Apparently it was caught in time. I still need to flush out her wound, pick out any remaining maggots and apply cream to where her skin has been chewed off. She has however, just eaten a bowlful of greens.
I'm so proud of her. She didn't make a fuss at all at the vets. I've let her down so badly.

Hi - I hope both you and Nougat feel better soon.

I know how you feel because my old rabbit Tippy had flystrike too. I checked her every morning and evening, made sure she was always clean around the rear end but still missed the eggs. Luckily it was caught in time and she made a full and speedy recovery with no ill effects.

Don't beat yourself up about it. The most important thing to remember is it is solely down to you that it got discovered so quickly so you haven't let her down at all. Because of this your rabbit has an excellent chance of making a full recovery.

The scary thing about my story is that I had applied Rearguard. I contacted the manufacturer after the event and what I didn't realise was if you need to give your rabbit a botty bath it becomes less effective, so bear that in mind. I actually thought the solution penetrated into the skin but it stays on the fur.

Like Nougat my vet shaved the infected area and flushed the wounds to get out any remaining maggots (I had already picked most of them out......it's amazing what you will do when something you love dearly is threatened!!) I'm sure that my vet also gave Tippy an injection to kill off any internal maggots that couldn't be seen. Did your vet do this too?

Anyway, good luck and fingers crossed that all will turn out fine.

Back