• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Miracles do happen

Sparrott

Banned
I took Benji to the vets last night and he gave him another two injections and some Bio-Lapis to put in his water and when we got home he ate 20 dandelion leaves drank 50ml of water almost in one go. By the time we had gone to bed he had finally had a poo!!

When I got up this morning his stomach had gone down and no longer felt bloated and he was hopping about like he always does. He didn't go straight to his food as usual but it only took half an hour and he was eating.

So lets hope that this is the end of it. Although I will be keeping a very close eye on him for a very long time.

Is there anything I can give him as the vet seems to think that he could be prone to bowl infections?

Thank you all for your kind advise and words yesterday they were a great help.

Sam

It may be worth keeping him on pro-biotics in his water for a while and introduce any new food slowly.

Next time you go away better buy in bulk supplies or make to very clear they have to get the exact same food if they run out ;) !

If they have had stasis they may be prone to get it again. Zeus has had it twice but recently he has been ok. Just keep an eye on him and now you know the warning symptoms you can catch it earlier.

Infacol (a childs medicine for gas) has sometimes proved to be effective at the first sign of gas build up and some painkiller but if it looks serious of course it can't replace a vets visit.

Caz

Glad he's ok. Squidgy is prone to a funny tummy too. Poo patrol is what it calls for I'm afraid!! We monitor his poo closely, and give Avipro/ kittymalt when appropriate. His diet is pretty much sorted now. I think its finding the right balance for their little tummies!

Back