• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heavy Breathing

Krinnie

Young Bun
When we went into the hay and feed store to pick up Floyd and thought he was sold, I came away worried about how fast his little nose was wiggling and how hard he seemed to be breathing, I figured it was the heat but even now he still breathes pretty hard, his head bobbing and his body occasionally shaking when he does. He seems completely content but my dutch rabbits don't breath like this and I'm starting to wonder if it's a cause for concern.

Is he indoor or outdoor? It's very hot. It's quite normal for them to have heavy breathing during this time, even when it is indoor.

Happy Hopping said:
Is he indoor or outdoor? It's very hot. It's quite normal for them to have heavy breathing during this time, even when it is indoor.

Sorry about the delayed response, I've checked the forum on a computer that isn't mine and I thought I posted, then I remembered I had forgotten my password :lol:

Anywho, I have one adult outside, and 3 babies inside, the mini-lop is in my room and the dutch-es are in my animal room. I've never seen any of my rabbits breath quite like this lop aside from heatstroke (although this is ongoing) his whole body shakes and his head just, like I said before, bobs.

My room is in the front of the house and gets a lot of sun (bunny is right below the window but I have the shutters closed on the bottom) but I'd say that even with the rising temperatures as of late in California the rooms have been around the same temperature. It just worries me because I don't see the same behavior from the dutch bunnies.

As far as I know; rabbits don't sweat so they cool themselves off through the ears, perhaps since the other little ones have uppety ears and Floyd's are down they're cooling down better? I'm going to try misting his ears tomorrow and see if he breathes any easier.

why don't you move him to the same room w/ the dutch and see what happens?

The important thing is, is his diet the same and drinks a lot of water? Remember their diet do drop due to the hot weather. So whatever the amt. that he eats Last Summer, should be the same as what he eats this summer.

Happy Hopping said:
why don't you move him to the same room w/ the dutch and see what happens?

The important thing is, is his diet the same and drinks a lot of water? Remember their diet do drop due to the hot weather. So whatever the amt. that he eats Last Summer, should be the same as what he eats this summer.

I've only had for him about a week and a half, he's a wee-one. So there's no way of knowing how much he ate last summer :lol:

As for the "animal room" it's being renovated, things are a bet messy as I moved 4 hamsters out of my room and we're looking for a good way to keep them in there catsafe, we've found that kitty isn't interested in the shelves not much bigger then the cages themselves so we're looking into buying another unit tomorrow even (returned the one we were experimenting with as it was rubbish) birdcage is still on the floor as we haven't hung a hook in there, the other baby buns are in a hugee crate that's wrapped in mesh that's very undesirable to catch the corner on ( the outside of the cage only!) -

needless to say just organization...not so oraganized- it's getting there but there's no room right now for me to stick Floyd in there with his "run" unless I confine him to his crate which is far too small...one of the reasons I didn't stick him next to the other rabbits immediately for bonding.

I'm scheduling him a vet visit tomorrow because I'm starting to believe he may have mites; and I've been pushing a basic health checkup anyways. Will have the breathing looked into - and also am there to see about having him fixed.

Back