• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Carpets

D

Damo122

Well I'm just about to buy my first flat. I'm really excited but there is one thing that's worrying me.

At the moment i have laminate floors but the new place has cream carpets through out.

Malcolm and Sandy always use their litter tray at the moment but whenever i used to put soft stuff in their cage they would pee on it and I'm worried they will do the same with the new carpets.

I'm also worried about them digging holes.

I was just wondering what experoences other peple had with bunnies and carpets?

Damo

p.s Malcolms bald spot was due to the baytril injections.

Thank God my carpet is brown as i'm sure Skip poos on it on purpose than lays in it and generally loves making a mess!!

We put a throw down where Squidgy usually sits. He's normally really good, cleanliness wise, but he's had sore hocks in the past and i was told it was from the carpets. Don't know how true this is, but it also saves us worrying about any accidents!

In our old house Monty dug a few holes in the carpet when we first got him, made worse because we were renting, but he soon seemed to learn not to. We have floor boards now so it is not a problem, but when he goes on holiday to my parents he has never tried to dig the carpet, but it's def. something to watch out for. Good luck

Difficult one as I think this can so depend on the bunster really, Zac is really good and doesn't bite or chew carpet - in his bedroom you might get the very occasional stain which I think is mainly caused by where he sits to each his soft poos but he never wees on the carpets in the house.

One of the reasons we feel head over heals with this bunster was how clean he was, he will roam the entire house and never leave any droppings or wee anywhere but in his litter tray, might get the odd few sprinkles of poos just outside his litter box but thats all and I can forgive this bunny anything anyhow :lol: :lol:

If your moving Malcolm and Sandy to a new enviornment it might be an idea to restrict the area they are in first so they get used to this as their litter area and then give them gradual freedom of your flat - just till they settle in - just a thought :wink:

hi

When you move house your bunnies will maybe start humping and marking more, just because it's new unconquered terrritory for them to argue over - it would be best if you confined them to one, smallish room for a few weeks till they are settled and know where the litter trays are (give them at least 3) - then gradually extend that if they are going to have the run of the flat eventually...If you give them several litter trays in each room they will decide which is their favourite place to go - and hopefully without damaging the carpets too much...

As for digging carpets - I think a nice scattering of bricks and pavers could be the new look this season :D

I agree about confining them at first to a smaller area. I would put a piece of lino down and use a dog pen. You can then watch them at first when you let them out. Sooty and Lolly live in a large penned area most of the time when inside. I let them loose in the living room to run free when im around in the evening and they're outside during the day in the run.
PhoneCamera055.jpg

Sooty tries to dig the carpet sometimes but no damage so far

Back