• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newspaper

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi

i only had joey last week and he has started to eat the newsaper on the hutch floor, in the big part of the hutch he has just ripped all the newspaper up, but in the sleeping compartment is where he goes to the toilet, but he has started to actually eat the newspaper which has his wee on it. is this normal?

yup , bunnies will chew almost anything given half a chance . Although newspaper is a great thing to use to line the hutch , maybe fill the hutch with more straw so that he can,t get to it or even provide him with some bunny gnaw sticks . Is he on his own or does he have a companion as this can also be a sign of boredom . Maybe throw in a loo role tube etc to try an divert his attentions elsewhere ??

yer, well it might be because of boredom because we havent finished builing the run yet, so hes stuck in his hutch all day, and i havent been able to pick him up yet because he keeps running away when i try picking him up.
i have given him lots of toys in his hutch, but he still seems to prefer chewing newspaper covered in wee!

he doesnt even play wiv his toys!!

getting the run finished so he can get out will do him the power off good and he will eventually come out of his shell and start pl;aying with his toys . Would it be possible to take him into the house for an hour or two a night so that you get more of a chance to interact with him ??

yer i was thinking of doing that, but i cant pick him up! i have been trying all week but when i pick him up he just jups out of my hands! i think he is improving because yesterday he let me pick him up for about 3 seconds, but when i started to move him out of his hutch he just jumped away!

it may be a good idea to use a carry case to transport him from the hutch to the house and vice versa as quality time with him will make him happier and he will begin to trust you even more .

hi

Benny always starts eating the newspaper when he's wanting fresh hay to chew on - Does your bunny eat much hay? If not he may try and find fibre, and amusement (chewing hay is a great boredom beater) elsewhere, but it could kill him if it blocks him up...

If he doesn't like hay then try giving him dried grass/forage - Some bunnies do just eat rubbish though when they're bored - Benny's brother Pepsi died last month from eating plastic toys and roofing felt off the hutch - I never dared give them cardboard boxes and tubes to play with either as I knew they'd eat them :(

Back