• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice before visit to the vet

dreamz1

Young Bun
I have jsut finished my lunch at work, so this is going to be really quick, but poor little Monty is not well and I have booked him to see the vet tonight, but after reading another thread on vets, and having a favourite and not so favourite, it might help if I had some advice from the experts.

Monty has got very very runny poo. It first started late Friday evening, all over the floor. I dropped a nut which he ate and thought it must have gone straight through him. But then Saturday evening he had the same problem. I thought last night he was okay as the floor was clean, but this morning proved different.

To make it worse I have also noticed some red in his litter tray, which I am sure is from his wee. He is also pooing normally. Do you think the two are connected or are they seperate? He is still eating and drinking and seems very happy. I have not changed his food, except for the nut.

I am so worried about him, and now think that I should have taken him to the vets on Saturday. :cry:

Hiya,

Is he pooing normally now?

If so then red/orangy coloured wee is usually not a problem. It can vary with what they're eating or without an obvious cause.

Runny poop is a problem though. What's his normal diet? Make sure he gets plenty of hay as that's full of fibre.

Tamsin

Thanks, it's a relief to hear that red/orange wee shouldn't be a problem. He has not stopped pooing normally, but just had extremely runny (and I mean like liquid) in the late evening.

Monty has fresh hay everyday and dried food in the morning and evening. (I have cut done on his dried food recently). He gets a piece of apple sometimes and some rocket every couple of days. He also has 1 or 2 yoghurt treats in the evening.

THanks for your reply... I am off to the vet now, I will let you know what they say.

Oh dear, I didn't realise that diarrhea was quite so serious for poor little rabbits :cry: . He said that the build up of bacteria in their stomachs can be fatal :cry: He's only allowed hay until it clears up and I have some Pro-Kolin to put in his mouth 3 times a day. Monty is not too happy with that and when he doesn't get any food tonight he's going to wonder what he has done wrong. Poor bunny, I hope he gets over it soon.

I find is i give Skip anything other than pellets and hay he gets the runs...even if he has treats/veggies of any kind or generally hovers crumbs off the floor. His belly can't seem to stand it very well, even his fav herbs don't go down that well.

He never gets runs that are very liquid but runny enough to make a right mess so poor bun bun has to go without treats. :(

Aww, that he's still active and eating is a good sign though. Keep a close eye and make sure he's drinking too so he doesn't get dehyrated.

What food do you usually feed? Some dry foods are higher in fibre than others.

Just give him lots of cuddles instead :)

Tam

Back