• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating

Sparrott

Banned
Hello

My rabbit hasn't been eating properly for 4 days now. I took him to the vets yesterday and he said he doesn't appear to be constipated but does appear to have gas. He gave him an injection which he said should stimulate his eating, although he ate a little yesterday he drank nothing. He hasn't passed anything for 4 days apart from a small mucus looking thing, but he appears to still be urinating. His stomach is very bloated. He has been moulting badly for a couple of weeks would this have anything to do with it? I have been feeding him hay and vegetables only is the the right thing to do and should I be doing anything else?

I am very worried about him as the vet said if the injection didn't work within 24hrs I should bring him back and it could be something more serious.

I'd get him back to the vets asap. i don't mean to alarm you but it's incredibly serious when a bunny's not eating/ pooing.
I've not used it myself, but the others on here recommend infacol for gas. A heavy moult could contribute - have you noticed his poo strung together with hair? I dab of kittymalt usually sorts this out.
However, I think your bunny needs urgent vet attention.
Hope he's ok. Let us know how you get on.

Bunny not pooing

Thanks Helen

We did go on holiday and I left him with my brother, whilst we were away they had to buy some more food which was different from his normal. Would this have anything to do with it?

Thanks Sam

Definately - rabbits have very delicate stomachs and any sudden change in diet can cause stasis! It is an emergency!

He needs to be force fed something like Science recovery food and needs to be given painkiller, more gut stimulant and possibly fluids if he isn't drinking! I think you may have to go back to the vets if he doesn't get any food in him soon!

Caz

He has eaten a bit of carrott and a dandelion leaf this morning, but that appears to be all. He isn't drinking anything at all.

you must get him back to the vets , as it has been said previously , a rabbits tummy is so sensitive and any change in food or lack of food is bad - they can go downhill so quickly and loose body weight at an alarming rate . I hope he improves soon , it must be such a worry for you .

A real worry, I have got the vet phoning me back and I'll get him down there once I have spoken to him.

Do you know if these things are curable?

Many thanks
Sam

That he's had even a little bit to eat is a positive sign. It's very serious but with treatment it's certainly possible for him to make a full recovery.

Keep tempting him with his favourite foods, keeping him eatings is essential.

There is an article here: http://ebonyeyes.co.uk/aspbite/categories/index.asp?intCatID=253

That goes into a lot of details and might help explain things. You could print off a copy to discuss with your vet too.

Tam

hi

I would say that the vet, as well as giving him an appetite stimulant, should have given him metaclopromide to make him poo; subcutaneous fluids if he's not drinking, as he'll get rock hard inside as well as dangerously dehydrated; and most definitely a painkiller, as he won't want to live, never mind eat if he's in great pain from bloat/gas - Is your vet a modern type as many old fashioned vets are great with cats and dogs but know very little about rabbits?

If you have a syringe you can syringe water into him by putting it behind his front teeth sideways - His stomach contents will get rock hard if he doesn't drink so at least ask the vets to give him fluids and painkillers or he will suffer :(

Unlike dogs, rabbits hardly ever survive surgery on the gut so try everything else first.

I have just spoken to my vet, and he wants us to come in and see him so he can have a feel of his tummy. He said he gave him and anti infalatory yesterday but doesn't think this has worked.... no sh*it Surlock!!!!!

So please keep your fingers crossed for the little boy, that the vet ca make him better.

Sam

Sparrott said:
I have just spoken to my vet, and he wants us to come in and see him so he can have a feel of his tummy. He said he gave him and anti infalatory yesterday but doesn't think this has worked.... no sh*it Surlock!!!!!

So please keep your fingers crossed for the little boy, that the vet ca make him better.

Sam

i,ll keep everything crossed for you , let us know how he gets on . xx

A bit of good news, my boyfriend popped home at lunch and gave him a bowl of water instead of his water bottle and he aparently he went straight to it and had a drink and returned a couple more times.

So hopefully this is a good sign, thank you all for your advise and web links which have helped, i.e telling us to but a bowl in instead of his water bottle.

I'll let you know what the vet says.

Thanks again
Sam

Back