• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

runny nose\sneezing

Silvia

New Kit
My friend asked me to find some info for her and I'm a member of the rat forums and they always help me out so I thought you might too.

she just got this young rabbit and he is sneezing and has a (wet) nose as she discribed it. Do you know what it might be or what she should do? She is giong to try to get it to a vet "sometime" she said.

Oh dear that sounds like pasturella. It can be very difficult to eradicate if not treated immediately!

Usually a long course of Baytril is needed to clear it up but sometimes it can not be completely cleared and the bunny may get flare-ups from time to time if s/he gets stressed.

Here are some references: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#past

Caz

Hi..

Yes it sounds like it is pasturella aka "Snuffles"

I discovered my rabbit sneezing and having a wet nose so i took him to the vet last week and i was given Baytril for him to take for a week, and i think that has done the job! :)

Tell your friend to get the rabbit to the vet asap so the treatment can begin! :)

yup thats right , the baytril is about 3.50 but a rats dose will be much smaller than a a little rats . aaahhh , i love rats - they are so cute .

You may need a prolonged course to keep it at bay. I was £7.50 for a good amount of Baytril. You must get the bun to the vet asap as they go downhill very quickly. The vet can also give an injection as a boost to start off with. Use the search facility and you will get other strings related. Good luck :D

no she doesn't have rats I do. I love the forums for rats and I know how helpful forums can be so I tried here. The price isn't bad at all. I'll tell her to get the bun to the vet asap.

Back