• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm gutted, advice needed

charlies mum

Warren Scout
I have two bunnies which I successfully bonded about two months ago, they live in a large out door run 24/7. They are really sweet together and he really seems to love her to pieces, they cuddle up eat together, sleep together etc etc. BUT TODAY oh my god they have been fighting LOADS. I've been out since 2pm and got home at 9ish and went about my usual evening routine of cleaning the litter trays and feeding them and initially they seemed ok. They started fighting in the far corner and there was hair flying in all directions, after the initial disbelief I went over and split them up, then I noticed Romeo was the one who was attacking Charlie.

He kept "going" for her so I've put him in the dog cage and left it in the run to keep them together but separate if you know what I mean, I dont know what else to do I'm gutted.

My neighbour has just informed me they have been going at it like that all day!!!!!! My other half said that she was chasing him about yesterday which is unusual but there was no fighting, and today it's obviously all gone wrong.

I didn't think that bonded rabbits were supposed to fight and fall out. They are both neutered and as I say have been together for a couple of months. I haven't interupted their routine so really cant think what the problem is. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I really dont know what to do and I'm frightened to let them out together again incase one of them gets injured.

Sorry this is such a long one. X

Nightmare!!! I bonded Totti and Brody in December and they are loved up. However they do fight when they smell Molly (another bun) so I have to put her in the kitchen when they're out and vice versa.... Also they get a bit rough when I put pellets or veg in (as I restrict these, wanting them to eat mainly hay). So, have you done anything at all like this which could trigger them off?

are they 2 boys, 2 girls or a boy and a girl?

i find that single sexed pairs do tend to fight more than other bonded pairs!

sophie

I dont think so, I haven't done any thing differently. Do you think this is the end of their relationship or is it common to have these blips.

Maybe they need a couple of days apart?? Could a wild bun have got near them with a different scent?

charlies mum said:
Charlie is a hermaphrodite, and Romeos a boy.
I've come across a hermaphrodite human but not a bun so thats totally new and I'm wondering if that could have some bearing. Phew- good luck. I really don't know what to suggest, sorry. Has he/she had the non-dominant organs removed?

There are a few cats around here, could that have made them fight. Bare in mind tho that the cats have always been here and they have never fought before.

I've just popped out and Charlie is lieing next to the dog crate which I have put Romeo in, he seems ok with her being close to him.

I really dont know what has happened.

Thanks guys for all the support, its nice to know that I can bounce these things off of you all.

Luvabun....
When we rescued Charlie ( formally known as Stanley the boy) an experienced vet who had attempted to neuter "him" found that he had neither or male or female organs. We have toyed with the idea that it may have been an already neutered female, hence the unisex name.

There was me thinking that having rabbits would be relitively straight forward but OOOOOoooohhhhh NO, its a nightmare at times like these.

This morning there are little poo's everywhere, Charlies marking her territory!!!!! I'm gonna let him out in a bit and see wht happens so fingers crossed.

I've had to separate them again :( I let them sniff and roam about the run but after about 10 minutes I could sense they were about to kick off and interupted any fights developing.

Ive split the run in 2 so hey have some space and can still see and smell each other which is going ok at the mo. I've read loads of possible answers to their change in behaviour, I'll start at the top of the list and work down, It does appear that bonding may have to sart again tho. It was easy the first time round but I have a sneeky suspicion that it isn't going to be this time!!!!!

Back