• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pasturella: can it effect other animals?

kate

Warren Scout
I thought I read somewhere that pasturella was unlikely to be passed to animals other than rabbits but I've just read an article which says it can be: http://hometown.aol.com/RattLvrr/PM.htm

It even says it can put people in hospital if they are bitten by an infected animal: is this true!?

I was planning on getting some rats from the rescue centre next weekend, but I am concerned that Jack may pass on his illness to them.

I wondered if anyone knows of any further articles on the transmission of the disease or if they have any experience of it being passed to other animals. What preventative measures can be taken to stop the spread of the disease? I think I'm also going to talk to my vet before getting the rats and see what he advises.

thanks in advance for your help

:D

As long as you take normal hygiene precautions - washing your hands after handling Jack and before handling them and not swapping bowls/bottles between animals I wouldn't have thought it would been a problem. I presume that Jack won't be playing with the rats ;)

Talking to your vet is a good idea - they'll know all the science bit :D

Tam

hi

the article I read said rabbits can't sneeze further than 6 feet anyway, so as long as they are in seperate rooms, and you wash your hands after handling Jack, wear a seperate fleece or top just when you're handling him, take it off when you've finished, and don't share feeding bowls for them, I can't see that the rats would catch it - same goes for the humans I guess, although it could infect a cut or bite/scratch on your hand and cause septicaemia - but I've had that and a course of very strong antibiotics sorted it as I caught it early. I didn't catch it off a rabbit with pasteurella either - gardening...

The fact is animals (and soil) carry germs and you should be careful to wash and cover any cuts on your hands, esp if the animal inflicted them - and go to docs for antibiotics if they flare up - my hand was very red and painful when I had blood-poisoning, but the cut was nearly invisible.

Also wash your hands after handling animals, and don't kiss them or snuggle your mouth into their fur (sorry all you animal snugglers out there :( ) - it's basic hygeine and will keep you and your family safe, and your other pets too.

A vet once told me that it is airbourne after a rabbit sneezes and when my Karrots had it I was so worried for him and my guinea pigs :shock: My vet really scared me and I honestly thought that I was going to lose them all :( especially as they all live indoors with me. Karrots was just fine after his treatment and recovered really well. He was kept in a separate room with the door shut at all times and I made sure to change clothes and wash my hands really well after seeing to him. I didn't let anyone else handle him during this time. My guinea pigs were all fine and things soon returned to normal, although my stress levels went through the roof :roll: I really don't know if my vet was just out to upset and really scare me or if I got off lightly *shrug* It might be worth holding out a little longer before bringing some rats into your home, just to be on the safe side :) Good luck and I hope that Jack is better very soon :D

Back