• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pippa not well

nicolar

Mama Doe
Pippa my bun seems to be going downhill a bit. I took her to the vet on Monday as she has a lump under her armpit and is snuffly. The vet gave us a course of Baytril + some Bisolvon. She is going to have the lump hopefully removed next Wednesday.

She seems really under the weather, isn't really eating her dry food, though still munching on grass, hay and veggies and just doesn't seem herself. I'm gonna try get some different rabbit food tomorrow as I really want her to eat a bit, she needs to get her strength up for her op!

My dilemma is whether, if on Wednesday she is still snuffly and under the weather, do I let her have her op? I think the lump may be causing her to feel under the weather as it is quite big + right under her armpit. But I'm worried I will lose her under the anaesthetic. I think I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Even my Dad said she doesn't look well, I'm so depressed and upset about it at the moment, I feel like crying. She is my baby and I love her so much, I just don't know what to do!

If I can get her eating a bit more I'd feel happier, she needs all her strength! When she is running round the garden she seems bit happier but isn't particularly active. Stays in same place munching grass for ages!

These bunnies will cause me to go grey soon!

Nicola

aaawww Nicola :( so sorry to hear about Pippa :?
I would suggest just taking one day at a time, you do not need to make a decision about the planned operation till much closer to the time.
The Baytril may have cleared the snuffles up by then, and Pippa wont eat much if she has a blocked up nose.
Have you tried popping some Vicks on her nose to aid her breathing or dot some Eucalyptus Oil around her hutch/ indoor area where she lives?
You could give Pippa a drop of rescue remedy each day to help life her spirits and this would help reduce the stress levels pre and post op.
I would be guided by your vet about this, take Pippa in as planned for her op, but if she has not improved by then, state your concerns and see whether the vet wants to go ahead with the operation on the day.
It is horrible to be in this position, we have been there many times ourselves before, but I know you will make the best decision for Pippa.

Sending lots of love and hugs, plus get well kisses for the snuffly Pippa.
Adele, and all the bunnies.

poor pippa if its the lump causing her to feel unwell then go through the op maybe u could phone and speak to your vet and get advice tell them how shes feeling

lisa

Awww thanks Adele - just me panicking as always. I'm very stressed at the mo by work + by Pippa.

You are def right, I will take things one day at a time. I guess I just needed to hear it from somebody, a bit of reassurance. It's so very lonely when you are sat here worrying about their health - thank goodness for you guys :D

I've put a few drops of Olbas Oil on a flannel attached to her hutch, I will try the Vicks tomorrow. Is it safe if they lick it off? Will get the Rescue Remedy out too. Straight into her mouth along with her medicine? I really hope the Baytril helps, she still has a few days left of it so I guess I'm panicking a bit early!

I will ring on the Tuesday if she is still snuffly so I can get an appointment when I take Pippa in for her op and so I can talk to Sue. She is a wonderful vet and I have full faith in her, I wouldn't want another vet to do the op! Thank you very much for your help and advice Adele, Pippa is all tucked up for the night but I will give her your get well kisses tomorrow :D

I hope you are feeling better and that the bunnies are all well.

Nicola

Thank you Lisa for your concern - it's of great reassurance to me that people take the time to reply. I do feel that the lump + the snuffles are causing my darling to be under the weather - one of those horrid situations!

Nicola

i wish her all the best for the next week please keep us informed of her progress poor girl at least shes got her mummy to cuddle her

lisa

Thank you, I will keep you updated with how she does. She is having lots of cuddles at the mo and will be in my bedroom in a crate after her op so I can keep a close eye on her! Make sure she is munching well + is nice + cosy. I would do anything to make sure she is Ok. that's why ppl on here are so great cos there is so much experience on here and somebody always has something you can try :)

aaaawwww you are very welcome Nicola, sometimes it just helps to write things down and know someone has taken the time to listen :)
If you need a shoulder you know where I am, just because i have my own problems does not mean I cannot be here for you my friend :)

I am sure Pippa will be fine, bunnies always seem worse than they are when they are snuffling. The Olbas Oil should help and Vicks is okay, but just watch her reaction to it, if she starts to try and groom it off it is probably best not to use it else she may get it in her eyes..some bunnies are fine with it, others are not!!. As long as she has something like Olbas Oil to breath in this will ease the symptoms. :)

Thinking of you, take care, and try not to worry too much :) I know its easy for me to say, but I am sure your lovely Vet will help sort Pippa out :)

Love Adele XX

Yep you are right Adele, I always feel so much better once I have written things down + knowing that you and everybody else on this board are so caring :) I am sure I will be emailing you worrying again, I know what I am like! Thank you, I don't like to burden you, but I know that friends do not mind listening.

I think she would try to groom it off, straight after her Baytril she has a major clean so Vicks wouldn't last long! I am putting Olbas Oil on a flannel every evening.

I do hope Sue can do something, they are very good + Tony the vet who operated on Pippa's abcesses did a wonderful job. So fingers crossed.

Will try not to worry, thinking about it the snuffly noises make her sound worse than perhaps she is, she sounds so congested though poor girl.

Nicola

Poor Pippa :( I hope she is better very soon and I wish her lots of luck with her operation next Wednesday. ((((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))))

Oh Nicola you never burden me when you write, it is always a pleasure to hear from you :) Please write anytime you like, I cannot guarantee I will always reply immediately, but I will get back to you as soon as I can :)

The good thing about a snuffly bunny is that it means the congestion is up the nose and not in the lungs proper..lung infections do not make a rabbit so noisy, but are very serious ....at least nasal congestion can be cleared more easily over time. :)
Hugs and speak again soon
XX

Thank you Adele, you are a very good friend :D I will keep you updated on how the snuffly bunster is doing.

That is good then as I always worry about it going to the lungs so I guess that her being snuffly is a good sign really!!

Nicola

Would steam help, e.g. putting her in a carrier with a steamy bowl next to it and a towel over the whole thing. That's meant to be good for people.

Tam

hope all goes well, hopefully your vet is savvy enough to know whats best to do for your bunny, talk it through with them when you go, I know it helps me when I go to the docs or dentist ;)

best of luck and hugs to you and the bunnies

Is he staying indoor for now? I guess it is very warm in Aug., but wind can be a problem if he is outdoor.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to your little bunny. :)

Sorry to hear about Pippa-theyre such a worry arent they and none of mine has even been ill yet........<touches wood>! :roll:
Hopefully all will be well Nicola - sending you love and hugsxx

Thanks guys, my vet is v good with rabbits so will do what is best for her :) She still isn't eating her dried food but has been munching on grass, hay + veggies so I am not too worried. She soon went scarpering when she thought it was time for Baytril as well!!

She isn't indoors yet, she will be after her op. She isn't that happy indoors so I'd rather keep her in her hutch outside. I cover the run with a sheet + she has a waterproof cover over at night.

Got everything crossed for my little girly!

Nicola

hi

Sorry Pippa's not well - hope she's OK today? If the baytril doesn't knock the snuffles on the head there are other antibiotics which may work, and penicillin can be injected if it's a bad case...Hope she's well enough for her op on Weds :)

Back