• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wasps (need an answer quickly please!)

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi

we have a wasps nest in our garden, they dont normally go near my rabbit but a man is coming today to kill the wasps, so the wasps will be very angry and will want to sting! so i was thinking of putting a sheet or a blanket over ther hutch to stop the wasps getting to my rabbit. do you think my rabbit will still be able to breathe if there is a blanket over the hutch??

if possible cud i have an answer quickly please because the guy is coming at 2:30 so i need to know before then. thanks
xxx

It may be a good idea to move them away anyway as you don't want the poison from treating the nest to get near the rabbits or the grass they eat.

If the run is located away from the nest anyway then you may want to drap a sheet over, an old net curtain would be better as it would allow more air through. As long as they are only covered for a short time it shouldn't be a problem.

When I have seen nests treated there haven't been any wasps out for vengence the ones inside are killed and quickly contained and the ones outside just tend to return very confused.

Caz

Hi Michelle

I have just recently had a wasp nest destroyed and removed, personally I would bring your buns indoors for the day as when they swarm, it was pretty scarey and I was told to close all windows and stay inside as they well head for something that is moving if it is close by :( they also swarm on the evening at dusk time as this is when the other workers who are not home at the time the pest control will spray will come home.

If I were you, I would bring them inside to be on the safe side :wink:

denny, thanks but i cant bring him inside cuz i only had him on wednesday, and i havent managed to pick him up yet!! i keep trying but he gets scared n freaks out!

I found the best way to pick up my bunny when he was scared and hates being picked up is to wrap him in a towel as he cannot see what is going on then bring him indoors.

I hate wasps and know how evil they can be, i wouldn't risk leaving him anywhere near the nest

hi
i got on fine thanks denny, i didnt even have 2 cover him up with anything cuz the wasps die instantly! i still havent been able to pick him up tho! we got 1 step further today tho!, he let me lift him up but when i started to move him out of the hutch he jumped away. maybe he'll get used to it soon!

Back