• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clipping rabbits teeth yourself

luvabun

Warren Veteran
After reading Bev's response about sunlight and teeth in the Welfare section, I've trawled the internet for advice. I'm very surprised to have come across a number of articles that advocate the rabbit owner clipping teeth him/herself. :shock: (I find it hard enough to clip bunny toenails :roll: ) Other articles state that this is no longer recommended and some explain why (don't know if I can quote - I'm sure the lovely Tam or Adele will let me know if I can :wink: )

I quoted from websites in my article as long as you attribute the quotes you shouldn't get into trouble.

I found some websites suggesting clipping the teeth yourself but most of the ones written by rabbit tooth experts suggested using a dremel to trim teeth as it is less damaging and only a vet can really do this as they have anaesthetic or lots of nurses to hold the bunny down as well as the right tools to keep the mouth open etc.

My mother-in-law used to clip her own rabbits teeth years ago when she had one with malocclusion - she turned it on its back between her legs and did them that way.

It isn't really recommended to clip them anymore.

Caz

I can understand that this proceedure was carried out many many years ago but times have changed a feel that, if this proceedure is not recommend now it tells you that it was'nt right to do it in the first place :(

god forbid I should have any dental work that would involve me being held down ontop of not having any form of anethestic :shock: :shock: my dentist would have been castrated for free if he did that to me :shock: :lol:

Surely all teeth have nerve endings so would this not be really stressful to a creature that can easily be stressed and go into shock too :(

I agree and it sounds really painful :shock: must admit, I had a giggle at Caz's mother-in-law :wink: sounds like the bunny equivalent of tying a piece of string round a persons tooth and the other end round the doorknob :shock: thank god that we have moved on :wink:

She said she had to wear goggles :shock: apparently one came off one day and pinged right into her eye - shows the kind of force you put on them!!

Caz

Caz said:
She said she had to wear goggles :shock: apparently one came off one day and pinged right into her eye - shows the kind of force you put on them!!

Caz
:shock: :shock: :lol: Its a good job bunsters can't read as Molly is on my lap as I read this and she would be horrified :lol: :shock: I swear she's got her mouth firmly clamped shut :wink:

Caz[/quote] :shock: :shock: :lol: Its a good job bunsters can't read as Molly is on my lap as I read this and she would be horrified :lol: :shock: I swear she's got her mouth firmly clamped shut :wink:[/quote]

:lol:

Clipping the teeth can shatter them or cause fractures. It can also leave sharper edges and damage the teeth roots :(

Tam

Back