• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning of rabbit's ear

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
My very first rabbit, 6.5 yr. ago, the breeder told me there is no need to clean their ears.

But I did it anyway, and it took me 40+ cotton swab to get rid of all those greasy oil inside her ear. they are a light to medium brown color.

My 2nd rabbit, never had those light - medium brown color oil. Instead, she has waxy stuff build up inside her ear, and has to be cleaned by cotton swab or cat cleaner.

My 3rd rabbit, never had any of the above. In fact, after he passed away, I routinely cleaned his ear before the cremation, and there is almost no dirt like the above inside his ear.

Rather, w/ my 3rd rabbit, there is white powder along the "trackmark" of the exposed part of his ear. You know there is a long track mark that is slightly fold around the mid way point of a rabbit ear, and it extended all the way. Along the folded part of the trackmark hiding behind the ear, there are those white powder.

By cleaning the inside of his ear in the past 4.5 yr. once a mth., there are also those white powder at the hole.

============================

why is the dirty stuff inside all my rabbits' ear so different?

Is it true you don't have to clean rabbit ear?

Rabbits shouldn't really need their ears cleaned. There are some problems that can make then dirty such as earmites though.

I imagine the build up of white was just the natural greese from the skin that hadn't been cleaned away by the bun as it was hidden in the fold :)

Tam

So that's what the first breeder told me too. But say using my 1st and 3rd rabbit as an e.g., how can any bunny be happy with those dirt?

I mean, the 1st rabbit, he couldn't be comfortable w/ that much grease inside. the color is no difference than the ones found in human.

w/ the 3rd rabbit, what if those powder drops into the inner core of the ear hole?

So how can they not be cleaned?

when they use their paw or feet to scratch the base of their ear (outside) doesn't that mean it is itchy inside?

Back