• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A new rabbit, not sure what to do. Help

JamieLynn

New Kit
I just got a new Rabbit from a neighbor who could no longer take care of her, she is olnly 8 months old but the previous owner had told us that she is litter trained and has not once gone to the bathroom outside of the litter box. The first time she hopped on our bed she did end up leaving some droppings behind and we understood that she is nervous becuase of the transistion, but now everyday she goes on the bed and does her business, now even while we are sleeping. Is there any way to stop her from using the bed as a toilet but still allow her to relax on the bed? Please Help

my rabbit used to love lying on my bed but also found it the ideal place for a wee wee :shock: and he was litter trained . he didn,t do it all the time but occasionally . He did soon learn tho as when he did the loo , he woul;d be told "no" and out off the bed , he soon out two and two together and it stopped . The occasional poo was fine as that just picks up but it got to the point that he would jump up on the bed , have a wee and then run before I got to him and twitch his tail at me defiantly as he ran out the door :lol: , but he did soon learn that he only got on the bed if he didn,t wee and would get off the bed , go to his litter tray and then jump back on again . He slept on my bed most nights after we got him out of his bad "habit" , eben though his bed was beside mine he had the freedom to go between the two as and when he felt like it . I woke up many mornings to find cheeky around my head on my pillow . :lol:

Thanks for your help, I guess it will just take a little time and we need to really work on teaching her not to. How did you handle it when you had to leave your rabbit at home alone?

cheeky had a room in the house that was just his with all his toys , his indor cage etc , if we were out at work etc then he would go in his room and was happy enough . You may find it would be a good idea to get a large indoor cage or even a dog pen as this can easily be adapted for a bunny , maybe even consider using a part of the room just for the rabbit and use a pen to fence this area off complete with all his toys , food , water , indoor cage etc . Its not a good idea to let him run free around the house when you are not in as he will run riot and may even get himself into a pickle ., I wish you were in the uk as i,d be able to send you cheekys indoor cage as its just sitting in the shed now since he passed away. :(

I agree with the dog pen idea as especially in a new place the bun will take time to feel secure. If you set up a litter tray in the pen then he will get used to using it there at first. Remember not to use cat litter except the wood pellets. Good luck :D

JamieLynn said:
Thanks for your help, I guess it will just take a little time and we need to really work on teaching her not to. How did you handle it when you had to leave your rabbit at home alone?

I have a post in the pictures forum entitled "Cheeky Cheeky" with a dogcrate and some modular furniture pieces (you could buy at Target, Costco ect. I forgot to check where you live, lol) wiretied in a run around the outside of the crate. Maybe you don't want to go to the crate idea but if your bun isn't much of a jumper the panels are a very cheap alternative to small amimal playpens which are usually about 2 feet at the most, and even more expensive dog pens. I bought an Extra Large dogcrate on E-bay, the sucker is huge...and this is what I have my two dutches in, it's rather flimsy for a dog so it only ran me 50 dollars (although it was 30 for shipping, and the place wasn't far at all...pretty rediculous) but for the same size crate it probably would have cost me close to 200 or 300 dollars for one from Petco. (My little one was 60 itself)

Dsc02795.jpg

My only gripe is I would have liked a door in the middle, but it works great with tons of room for bun if you can't be around (and don't have a room to spare) to supervise.

Back