• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dewlap??? Changing-----back again to normal??!!

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I have noticed that Skip's dewlap (i think thats what its called???) that thing they have under their chin has got bigger should i be worried??

I have felt it and it doesn't feel hard or anything but i'm not sure why it suddenly looks bigger.

He hasn't been too well since his visit to the vets on Mon when he had his VHD jab and although he is eating/drinking and pooing now he still seems a bit quieter then normal.

Im afraid ive no idea what this could be but i thought it was females who developed dewlaps. :? Hopefully someone with more knowledge of such things will reply soon.

My bun Pippa's dewlap has got bigger recently, she does have lumps in there but my vet said they are probs just abcesses and it's more bother taking them out than leaving them! Does it feel nice and soft? I would pop him along 2 ur vet if ur worried. Or mayb he has been eatin a bit too much? :?

Skip has always had one but it has got bigger when he got older and he is DEF a boy for obvious reasons :wink:

I think another trip to the vets may be in order but when they saw him on MON she said he was in great health after checking bum/heartbeat/for lumps.....oh well

let me know what the vet says, see if he she can tell you a little about the dewlap too ;)

hope he is ok, sure he is love to you and him x

I have looked in detail and found what feels like a bald patch which is hard like a scar/scab round the side of his neck.

He has has a problem like this before on his back but it healed by itself after the vet said he had hurt himself.

I think he keeps itching it which makes it worse and the skin looks quite red, will take him to the vets tomorrow to check it all out. I don't think this would have caused his 'off' problems but could it have anything to do with the jab?? which is given in the neck??

Fingers crossed as i worry too much :cry:

Boys and girls can have dewlaps though girls tend to be larger. Unspayed girls the biggest. I believe it's also used as a fat store that could be one reason. If there is a scab there it's possible it could be an abcess, have you have a good prod? Does it feel normal? Alot of it's fluff so it could look weird if he's moulting I guess?

Tam

I can't decide weather to take him to vets or not?? The problem is it stresses him out so much that i don't want him going off his food/water again as he has only just got back to normal.

The problem is there is always a dog in the waiting room and this scares him alot esp when they are barking and barking like last time!!

His dewlap seems ok i have felt around it and just feels like fat but the little scar feels hard and the skin is red but it doesn't look like an abcess, there is no lump or pus etc, my last bunny lived to 13 years but in the end he got recurring abcesses on the side of his neck and this doesn't look like that.

I don't want to drag him to the vets and cause he more upset just for them to tell me it is just a scab which is sore from itching and give me some cream to put on it (which he has had before) I feel the vet trip would make him more ill then this scaby thing......i will keep an eye on it and then decide as if it turns into something horrid i 'm sure i will never forgive myself.....will try and take a pic!

do you think it may be mites? its a possibilty if he has been really stressed and run down after the jag, and the symptoms sound similar, does it look flaky?

It doesn't look flaky but it feels really hard like a scab we would get. It's behind his left ear and is about 1 1/2 cm long and the skin looks red. It doesn't seem to have got worse since yesterday and he doesn't seem to be itching it really.

How can i tell if it's mites or not? If it starts to flake?

Before he went to the vets monday he had fairly long nails as he lives indoors they never wear down much and he won't let me cut them and i wondered if he had caught himself.
Oh such panic over it and he seems to be unaware of it himself!!!!!!!

the fact it is red says to me that it could be mites, I would watch him and see if he is biting at it or scratching at it at all

His scab thing is now a bald patch after he scratched it off !! Now the hair is growing back so that looks good but even stranger is his dewlap has got smaller again and gone back to normal size, it also feels alot smaller...................i wonder if this was some weird side affect of the VHD jab?? :shock:

Back