• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ARC is overun with babies

janice

Wise Old Thumper
Animal Rescue and Care a small rescue based in Twickenham are bursting to the seams with rabbits particuarly baby rabbits.

We currently have looking for homes:
Twinkle and Star who are 10 weeks old. Twinkle is a toffee coloured girl with straight ears that stick up and Star is a black bunny and her ears some times flop, some times stay straight. These sisters are looking for permanent homes either together or can be split to be paired with a boy bunny. Twinkle is a very confident bunny where as Star is more reserved, both are very friendly and enjoyed being cuddled. They have both had their myxi jab, and will need to be neutered when they are old enough.
twicnklestarlg.jpg

These are ARCs newest arrivals, they are three, 7 week old dutch babies. There are 2 girls and 1 boy. One girl is black and white and the other girl and the boy are both grey and white. These babies are now waiting for new homes either as a 3, or as a pair, or to be paired up with another bunny. These babies are very friendly and are now just waiting for the right home to come along. The babies are friendly babies that enjoy being picked up and handled.
carriesbabiesolderlg.jpg

There are also ARCs youngest bunnies, Carries 2 week old babies. These babies were born on the 20th of July 2005! They are not currently looking for homes but will be when they are 8 weeks old and ready to leave their mummy. All of the 5 babies are grey and white except one, who is the smallest who is black and white. We will add a photograph as soon as we are able to do so.

These very pretty lop babies have been brought into ARCs care via the RPSCA. There are 2 boys and 2 girls that are looking for loving forever homes where they will be well looked after. These babies are very friendly and will be homed as pairs, or to live with another neutered bunny. Can you offer any of these 11 week old babies a home?
RSPCAlg.jpg

We are also expecting in seven 16 week old rabbits who are currently living with their mother, the owner of which is only prepared to transfer ownership at the end of August in his own time, by which time the mum will no doubt be pregnant again.

There is also a 20 week old dutch called Alfie who has come into the care of ARC with his brother Spencer. Their previous owners had been given wrong advice about the way to keep rabbits resulting in them having to be handed over to us. Alfie is neutered and vaccinated. He is a nice boy who loves to run the garden, and maybe have an occasional dig when you arent looking! He is a very cheeky chap who is now looking for a girl friend to keep him company. He looks identical to his brother Spencer.

Spencer is Alfie's brother. He is also a brown and white dutch boy who is now neutered and vaccinated. Spencer is a nice boy who is now looking for a forever home with a female bun, where he can spend the rest of his life.
AlfieandSpencerlg2.jpg

If any one is interested in adopting one of these rabbits or any of our other rabbbits on our website, please PM either Donna-arc, Sophie or myself and we will get back to you. alternatively you can ring the ARC rabbit number which is 020 8755 1807 or leave a message via our website.

Janice[/b]

hi

Oh what gorgeous babies! - but so sad to see people breeding their rabbits when they have no idea about homing the resulting babies - especially the idiot who won't give up his bunny till August :(

They're so lovely - fingers crossed someone with more room/time/money than me adopts them :)

Katie - they are all safely in foster homes at the moment, we have a key group of 5 main fosterers who have allocated numbers of hutches or indoor pens for their foster buns. At times we do set up 'overflow' facilities for emergency cases if we have no space. The only ones that are not in at the moment are the group of seven 16 week old babies and their mum who are currently living together in one hutch, these have not come into care at the moment as their owner who approached us for help to rehome their rabbits is refusing to allow us access to them until after the bank holiday weekend. They are fully aware that the mother will more than likely be pregnant by that time or maybe even had another litter by then.

jrn1310 said:
Katie - they are all safely in foster homes at the moment, we have a key group of 5 main fosterers who have allocated numbers of hutches or indoor pens for their foster buns. At times we do set up 'overflow' facilities for emergency cases if we have no space. The only ones that are not in at the moment are the group of seven 16 week old babies and their mum who are currently living together in one hutch, these have not come into care at the moment as their owner who approached us for help to rehome their rabbits is refusing to allow us access to them until after the bank holiday weekend. They are fully aware that the mother will more than likely be pregnant by that time or maybe even had another litter by then.

so if there are deliberately breeding why are you helping them?

eve x

can you imagine how many more times they will breed if arc don't take them? how many more babies won't have homes or will have homes but will end up at arc anyway becauses someone got 'bored' of them, how badly they will be treated because they are unwanted? where else they may very sadly end up if no one takes them...

Katie said:
can you imagine how many more times they will breed if arc don't take them? how many more babies won't have homes or will have homes but will end up at arc anyway becauses someone got 'bored' of them, how badly they will be treated because they are unwanted? where else they may very sadly end up if no one takes them...

i understand what you are saying but taking them just condones there behavior, like "ok you can breed as many as you want cause we will take them" if that what the arc what to do thats fine but i would make them pay a hefty rehoming fee, so they would not be inclined to do it again!

encouraging people to behave badly if no better than behaving badly yourself, if you know what i mean! :D

eve x

I see what you mean but I thought arc was taking them all? mother included? I agree that they should make them pay - but if they refuse? I don't know its a tricky situation I guess you have to weigh up whats best at the time

Katie said:
I see what you mean but I thought arc was taking them all? mother included? I agree that they should make them pay - but if they refuse? I don't know its a tricky situation I guess you have to weigh up whats best at the time

yer they are taking the mother but after she has premuable had another litter, and are they going to give arc all ther bunnys if they keep some the cycle starts again

i am no means criticsing (sp?) arc, just think its terrible what these people do!

eve x

well i think if it happens again then something is going to have to be arranged so that they are not allowed to have rabbits, i agree they cannot be allowed to carry on doing this.. very sad :(

These people want to keep the mum and dad rabbits. I have made it clear to them that when we do help them we will only do so on the understanding that we get the parents neutered (at our cost). This way the cycle is broken.

The trouble is, Eve, if you come down too heavy handed these people won't deal with you at all. From our past experiences we have taken the decision that it is better to wait a little while and sort the problem rather than force these people's hand and risk them refusing our help and ending up with a worse situation. They are fully aware that we are not condoning the situation - I have explained things to them.

If there was any choice in the matter we wouldn't allow them to keep the rabbits till the bank holiday but having spoken to these very ignorant people I know we have to wait.

donna-arc said:
These people want to keep the mum and dad rabbits. I have made it clear to them that when we do help them we will only do so on the understanding that we get the parents neutered (at our cost). This way the cycle is broken.

The trouble is, Eve, if you come down too heavy handed these people won't deal with you at all. From our past experiences we have taken the decision that it is better to wait a little while and sort the problem rather than force these people's hand and risk them refusing our help and ending up with a worse situation. They are fully aware that we are not condoning the situation - I have explained things to them.

If there was any choice in the matter we wouldn't allow them to keep the rabbits till the bank holiday but having spoken to these very ignorant people I know we have to wait.

neutering at your cost, i think that is discusting, how dare they? cant the rspca do anything about this, horrible horrible people this country let people get away with acting like *********!

eve x

bunnylove said:
neutering at your cost, i think that is discusting, how dare they? cant the rspca do anything about this, horrible horrible people this country let people get away with acting like *********!

The trouble is, there is nothing illegal about what they are doing. If the siutation was left and the rabbits allowed to continue to breed then at the point the rabbits started suffering (dying or ill) then the RSPCA might be able to step in but at that point the rabbits are suffering and the amount of rabbits to deal with and cost to the rescue is greater.

Maybe the new welfare bill will make things better.... :(

Tam

i was just about to take some pics of my 2 week old babies to put on here, then realised that none of my batteries are charged up. sorry everyone! will wait till they are charged and will then take the baby dutch buns piccies!

sophie

Back