• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini Rex seeking a forever home.

Adele

Warren Veteran
Posted on behalf of Karly

Mini Rex urgently needing a home

Physical Description - Mini rex, light brown/tan colour
Temperament - slightly nervous but does allow us to check his teeth
Age - About 5-6 months
Sex - Male
Neuter Status - Unneutered
Vaccination Status - None
Health - Has problems with teeth - read below
Type of home wanted - Preferably with someone who has knowledge of rabbits with teeth problems, or even a rescue who'd home him for now
Location - Egham, Surrey
Reason for rehoming - This little bunny is at the petshop I work in. When he was younger, he managed to snap one of his top front teeth. We took him to the vet and they removed the remainder of the tooth that was hanging down. However, as it grew back, it grew slightly misaligned. As a result, his top front teeth are now a bit out of line, and aren't being ground down properly. We've had his teeth trimmed a couple of times and he manages OK, and they don't grow back as fast as the teeth of the rabbits I've had with malloclussion, but it does look like a permanent thing for him. He was sold, but he was returned to us a couple of days later as the owner didn't want to deal with the teeth problems. This poor bun has been with us several months now, and no one wants him - why take on a problem rabbit when there's all those adorable mini lops instead - so my boss has given me permission to take him (free of charge, so not supporting them financially or anything) and keep him/rehome him myself (I've done this with older rats too - it's a shame this happens really, but better than the animals being put to sleep or wasting away in a pet shop display cage)
I would love to take this little guy myself, but I've already got 3 males, and I just don't have the room for another. If no one takes him straight away I'll squeeze him in, but my mum would rather I get a home lined up for him before taking him home (have told my boss I'll take him Friday)
If a new home can be found, I can probably foster him until the new owner can collect from me.

Please PM Karly if you can help :)

Bracknell Rabbit Rescue have said they'll take this guy :D Hopefully I'll be able to go and collect him today and give him some cuddles before he goes to them (or perhaps convince my mum to let him stay... :wink: )

aaaawwww that is great news Karly :thumb: , please send Sue at Bracknell our best wishes when you see her.

Hi

I would be very interested in giving this little man a home as I have a very sad mini rex doe who lost her partner a few months ago now :( Flopsy also has teethe problems so they could go for dentals together :wink: I am in the west Midlands area and I am quite happy to travel as I have family down in surrey :D

Flopsy is speyed but I would have this little bun neuered before I introduced them. Please let me know :D

Max

have offered my bunny running services if required as I'm only a few miles from Egham and going up north this weekend....

musn't get too excited but its good that Max is experienced with teeth problems in bunsters......

Brought this guy home this afternoon (have been at the vets since with my other animals so haven't hada chance to reply!). My brother's fallen in love and the rex has spent the last couple of hours hopping around his bedroom floor!
He'll have to convince my mum to let him keep a bunny, and I'll have to have a big chat with him about all the bunny responsibilities, etc. (he's 15 so understands, and has a rat who has to live on his own and absolutely adores him, he spares his bed with this rat and I often go in in the morning to find them cuddled up!), and the possibility of getting a friend for him once he's neutered, etc.
If he can't keep the bun, I will let you know asap Roadrunner so you can have first refusal.

Hi, thanks Karly, let me know what you decide, he sounds a adorable :D

Hi luvabun, thank you for the kind offer, I may take you up on this offer if that is ok with you, if you are travelling up before I am travelling down :D many thanks

Just remember he will need to keep this bun for 7yrs so mum needs to say she will take responsibility in case he goes to uni or gets a job or flat where pets cant stay. Please think long term. (buns are happier bonded too) good luck :D :D :D

Sooty said:
Just remember he will need to keep this bun for 7yrs so mum needs to say she will take responsibility in case he goes to uni or gets a job or flat where pets cant stay. Please think long term. (buns are happier bonded too) good luck :D :D :D

Bun wouldn't be totally his, I'd keep an eye on him feeding it, I'd clean it out and take it to the vet (and pay :roll: ), etc. and if he ever couldn't cope I'd take it off him - this is the same arrangement as with his rat and it seems to work very well, the threat of having it taken away from him keeps him in check with feeding and watering it daily, and he will sometimes clean it out himself too.
I'm in love with the little thing. My heart says keep it, but my head is saying I shouldn't, so I really can't decide :?

Take your time and don't feel under pressure. Roadrunner has had a home check for her current bun (is there a pun there??) and I often go up to the Midlands to see my folks so the bunny run is no problem.

Back