• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Discoloured Bunny Teeth

moog

Young Bun
Hi folks.

Otis has developed some discolouration on his front teeth: a kind of green, plaquey finish. They appear to be otherwise healthy as far as we can tell, but very discoloured and therefore not particularly attractive.

(a) is this a problem other than being cosmetically less attractive?
(b) what could be causing it?
(c) should we attempt to clean his teeth, and if so, how?

Just thought I'd better ask - the wee man is a little star but we've gotta keep him tip-top as best we can, so to speak.

moog

Hiya,

What's his current diet?

He hadn't just eaten something green before you checked had he? Sometimes bunnies can turn their teeth/noses/chins green eating grass.

Tam

His current diet revolves mainly around Science Select pellets (I think it's called - it comes in a HUGE big sack anyway), fresh grass (in his run), greens (cabbage/spring greens mainly, occasionally broccoli) and the occasional carrot and (blush) bit of toast...

Oh, and hay is always available though I think it's only eaten when the rest is done...

moog

That sounds a pretty good diet, grass is okay as a hay alternative aslong as it's eaten in the same quanties. How much SS do you give him? About 50g a day is about right for a average sized adult - a small bag of the stuff lasts my two about 2 weeks, I'd need an army to get through a giant one :shock:

The diet not being quite right can effect the teeth hense the questions :)

Are the teeth normal in appearence or has the shape changed as well as the colour e.g. ribbing across them?

Bunnies shouldn't need their teeth cleaned so it could be a symptom of a problem.

Tam

Update...

Otis was with us at the vet yesterday and his teeth are fine (and clean) - it must have been something he'd eaten immediately prior to us checking his teeth.

Phew!

moog

Back