• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying advice needed

tigger79

New Kit
hi
i have both a young male and female rabbit they are in seperate cages at the min just getting used to one another. In the past i have always got my males neutered which he will be done when a bit older but is it necessary to also get my female done :?
sorry not sure if there was other advantges to get her done other than the obvious as she is so little wouldn't want to ut her through it unless necessary

does are uasuly spayed at 6 months peach has just had this done and she fine she just neded some extra pain relef

Hiya spaying is recommended by the RWA and other rabbit Organisations as it takes away the risk of Uterine Cancer in Does, and can help their behaviour making it easier to bond them :)
There can be some problems post spaying on ocassions, but in the majority of cases things go well :) . I suggest you do your research first (ie find a Vet who is experienced in doing rabbit spays, many are not) as this will enable you to make the best decision for you and your bunny.

Best wishes

i would get your doe done as there is such a high rick of cancer with not getting them spayed my doe was found to have cysts when they spayed her luckily it was nt cancerous . it also helps with behaviour .

re

thankyou that was really helpfull, think i will also get her spayed just for piece of mind. She is in for a wait she is only three months bless her.

hi

Most important thing is to find a vet who's experienced at spaying rabbits - it's a more delicate op than neutering a boy, or spaying a cat or dog - if there's a rescue near you that spays routinely their vet will be very experienced with bunnies. My girls are 8 months old now and mum must be 2, so I'm wondering what to do like you :)

I got my 2 does spayed last Thursday and I was TERRIFIED. They were quite dopey when they came home, and by the following day one of them, Buttercup, still hadn't eaten anything at all. However she did start to eat later that day, and now, 6 days on, they are both very well. Still grumpy ******* though!

Spaying does help with the grumpiness (so I'm told) and my vet also said it reduces the incidence of mammary tumours too.

I am glad I got my 2 done ... not sure I could go through the stress again though :?

Most rescue centres neuter rabbits before rehoming them. If I get any more rabbits, this is where I will go for one!

Back