• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccines..

Myst

Young Bun
My rabbits aren't vaccinated yet, I brought Captain when I got him but my vet said he was so nervous she'd prefer to wait till he was a bit more confident.
Then when I got Cuds I brought them both for mite boosters and also to get vaccines but she realised they were out of VHD vaccines so told me to come back (i'll be calling this week to ask)

I asked her should they get the myxy vaccine and she said since they are indoor rabbits she'd prefer not to because it is very painful for them..
But I'm concerned about like I'v read, if i'v been down fields and then play with them, that I could transmit it.. and I would rather they have it done.

Also once they are vaccined for VHD I want to let them out in an outdoor run, and again would feel more confident if they had the myxy done.

But she made it sound like i'd be mean to ask her to do it.. :?
Should I get them done with both vaccines?

I don't think myxy is common in ireland but still..
:shock:

I would get them done - mine never had any reaction to their vaccinations and I am sure most bunny owners on here could say the same :D

If they are indoor buns then I can understand where you are coming from, however if they are to be allowed outdoors then they should really be done.

VHD is airborne and you can carry it in on your shoes, bird droppings etc so the risk is not worth it. Also if you have to go on holidays then your buns might have to be boarded where there are other buns and you would not like to put them (or the other bunnies) at any risk.

I would get them done - most animals take injections well. I think your vet sounds like a bit of a wally (sorry).

You can get info on the vet to pet site. www.vet2pet.co.uk
(some of the pics are distressing)

lol Pam

From what I have heard a lot of vets in Ireland aren't up on rabbit medicine and it can be quite hard to find a vet that is!

The myxi vaccine is usually given first, a tiny part is injected just under the skin to form a little lump and the rest is injected sub-cutaneously right into the scruff. Sometimes a small scabby area forms afterwards - this just shows there is a good antibody reaction present.

The VHD is usually given two weeks after and to be fair it is the one that rabbits most usually notice or have a mild reaction too. It is given sub-cut into the scruff as well.

Even house rabbits should be done because VHD is very resiliant as Pam said and myxi is spread by biting insects such as fleas or mosquitoes which can fly into houses!

Caz

does it matter which way round they have the injections as last year i asked for vhd first then 2weeks later they had their myxi?

just got them booked in fri for vaccination booster

lisa

Ta, I'll ask her again, the VHD is definitely going to be given either way.

I think she was just concerned about overly stressing Captain because he was a state when I got him first.

She's not a wally :wink: i'd trust her with my own life

mini lop1 said:
does it matter which way round they have the injections as last year i asked for vhd first then 2weeks later they had their myxi?

just got them booked in fri for vaccination booster

lisa

I don't think so - it seems to be common practice to give them that way round, perhaps because mxyi is more common.

Myst said:
Ta, I'll ask her again, the VHD is definitely going to be given either way.

I think she was just concerned about overly stressing Captain because he was a state when I got him first.

She's not a wally i'd trust her with my own life

It is up to the vet to decide whether a rabbit is well enough to have their vaccinations. But I would say if he is well enough to have his VHD he should be alright to have the mxyi as long as there is two weeks in between.

Caz

Myxy is carried by biting insects such as ticks, mosquitos and fleas so unless you can guarentee they won't get entry to your house then house rabbits are at risk too :)

VHD is spread by contact so walk in the field or a visit to the vet could bring it home to your rabbits.

I'd recommend both vaccines - if nothing else at least it stops the worrying :D

Tam

I totaly agree. Vacinations are a deffo. Its not too expensive and you do not want to see your bunny with mixie..

Back