• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbits had babies

ryanh72

Mama Doe
hey on sunday at about 2 oclock in the afternoon my rabbit had 5 kits i thought it was an usual time for her to have them as i read they usually have them at night all of them look as though they are going to turn out like her shes white with a few browns spots on her back and brown splodges on her face but the dad is agouti and i also read that this was a dominant colour but none look as if they are going to turn out like him as they are all pink with black spots.

i havent touched the babies or picked them up at all and i just wanted to ask how long will the babies would live if they havent been fed they are now about 2 and a half days old and are all doing fine so i think they have been fed and ive noticed the mothers nipples are red and look sore so i think that this is a good sign fingers crossed.

The mom and dad are both lionheads so i will have some very fluffy babies lol

i never posted anything sooner because i didnt want to jynx myself incase something went wrong. also ive been giving the mother extra food and hay to fatten her up again lol

You should get in and touch them when they get about a week old. Give them a good look over and make sure nobody is injured, or dead in the nest. Also, look for a runt in the litter, if there isn't, great! If there is though, keep a close eye on it, and make sure its getting just as much milk as the others. I would go over and check them everyday or so so you know that they are healthy and eating properly.

The mom wont abandon the babies if you touch them, so you dont have to worry about that!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the nursing. Mommy rabbits usually nurse their kits at night, so dont worry if you dont see any feedings.

Keep us updated and if you have anymore questions I'm sure one of us will be able to help out :D

hi

everyone else on here who's bred say you must NOT touch the babies or the mum may eat or abandon them - please leave them be if they seem fine!

I would also agree that you should not touch the babies, if the mum abandons them at such an early age you are then going to have to hand rear them which may not be sucessful. Just keep an eye on them from a distance, if for any reason you must put your hand in the nest, do so by putting a small bag over your hand and then put it in a dirty litter tray to transfer smells before you put it in the nest.

Janice

i think i all depends on the mother some of mine especilly 1st time moms are quite unsure about so i leave it a few days, some dont atke any notice of me so i can touch them a few hours after birth. If mom is fine with u looking at them then it should be ok but rub ur hands on the fur from nest and a bit of moms mess too, if not then maybe u can use an old paint brush and use this to part the nest so u can have a look in at them with out touching them
becky

ive beeen checking on them everyday to see if i can see movement ive just checked them now and theres something still moving. so is it ok to move some of the fur from around them to check if they are all ok because if it is i will go and check now and do a head count.

this morning though i put the food into the mummy rabbits hutch and she jumped straight in the dish before id even put it in it was like she was possesed lol

bless her!!!

When Sugar had her four she was eating all the time, its just were she is now feeding however many babies she has as well as herself, if you give her more helpings of fruit and veg as well as her normal food and make sure she isn't loosing weight (This happened to sugar her babies were very big and it did take it out of her for a while) Goats milk is also supposed to be could for her.

i forgot to ask aswell the hutch is gettin dirty and ther are auite alot of poos and i was wonderin would it be ok to clean the hutch. im only asking this because if i put new wood shavings in would this not change the scent and scare her a little if you know what i mean i dont think ive made myself clear lol

i used to clean sugars hutch out but not near the nest, i left that part till the babies were at least 3 weeks old, and when ever i was cleaning out sugar was having a run out side so i wouldn't scare her

Oooh, sorry, I didn't mean to give out wrong info :oops: :roll:! I always read that after a week or so you should check them over by taking them out of the nest. I agree that it does depend on the doe, but after a week I think it should be ok. Right?

When he first posted he was worried his bro/sis had put the two rabbits together:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6798

then later he did it deliberately (judging by the dates this was when she did get pregnant):

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6970

Considering the first time his doe had kits she didn't do very well and ended up killing them I am a little concerned she was mated again by an inexperienced "breeder".

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6715

Caz

Oh! :(

I know that it may seem like fun to have babies, but really there are too many rabbits out there to be creating more and if you can't answer the questions you have asked then you are not ready to breed. Please don't think I am having a go, I am just concerned, especially when I know so many rabbits are put down every year as there is a lack of homes for them! I really hope you get the buck castrated ASAP and then get her spayed once she has recovered, both by good vets, then they can live together peacefully and won't be lonely anymore.
Also you don't know their genes, if you got them from the same petshop and the father carries the same colour genes as the mum, then I suspect they are brother and sister, that is called inbreeding and can result in badly deformed offspring, they could have teeth problems etc.

I know what has been done has been done, and I hope you are not planning to breed your rabbits ever again! :wink:

Didn't Caz tell you her last name is Cleuseau :wink: guess who I'm going to call when I need a little investigating taking place :wink:

Oh Dear - I had these very fears when I first read this post yesterday, this is so sad and quite an apt post given the Breeders V Owners ongoing debate.

luvabun said:
Didn't Caz tell you her last name is Cleuseau :wink: guess who I'm going to call when I need a little investigating taking place :wink:

I think "Marple" may be more appropriate - an annoying busy-body with nothing better to do ;) :oops:

Caz

Re: hi

elve said:
Beebop, sadly we all advised him to get the bunny spayed when he was originally 'worried' (hopeful more like) she might be pregnant - just take a look at this thread about a rescue stuffed with beautiful babies - I hope ryanh's baby bunnies have a better future ahead of them :(

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=114357#114357

Aww all those wee baby buns! Ryanh I really hope you are taking note of how big the problem of rabbit overpopulation is. :wink:

Back