• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A worrying day......still a bit worrying WED

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
I hate days like this when Skip is not himself...he's not eating his breakfast and is just sitting hutched in a ball with his eyes closed. He has eaten a bit of hay and 1 poo as far as i can tell.

Yesterday he had his VHD jab and seemed fine after although he slept the rest of the day he ate all his dinner.

I'm so worried about him as i don't know what to do?? :cry:

He was stressed yesterday as he hates the vets do you think he is still recovering?? He has had a few off days like this before but i'm worried. :cry:

I personally would keep an eye on him and if he seems to still be in pain or unresponsive to food later take him in to the vets tonight.

Sometimes they do have off days but refusing food with my guys is a sure sign of something wrong. Obviously you know your bunny!

Does his stomach feel gassy, is it making loud noises? Is he grinding his teeth? My vet has said before that some rabbits can be off colour after their VHD and are usually right as rain again after 24 hours so it could be nothing.

Caz

hi

Poor Skip - and it's so worrying when they're 'off' :(

Vaccines can make anyone feel a bit low for a day as the immune system kicks in to fight it - that's what it's for so it's normal - and the VHD can sometimes make them lame in one leg for a couple of days too.

I've noticed that Benny, now he's on his own, has got very lethargic though - he even eats his hay lying down sometimes, and went to sleep lying on his food bowl this morning as he couldn't be bothered to move :lol:

So I threw him outside and made him move around a bit for a couple of hours - it got his insides moving too and he produced a nice pile of poops for me - Can you get Skip moving around in the garden?

He doesn't seem to be in pain and his belly seems ok. He doesn't really want to move at the moment but i just saw he sneak to his bowl and eat a couple of pellets...he seems to be eating bit tiny bits and slowly as opposed to gupping it all down in one go like he normally does.

oh skip eat for mummy when peach was spayed last week she didnt eat for 4 days i had to sringe feed her

oh skip eat for mummy when peach was spayed last week she didnt eat for 4 days i had to sringe feed her or have you tired dandlion leaves or herbs got my madam going

Awwww poor little Skip - Like you I hate it when this happens and your never quite sure how quickly you should act but as Cazz mentioned with mine too its a sure sign something is up when they are not racing over to the food bowl.

Have you tried tempting him with some nice fresh herbs etc to see if he will take anything - myself if he doesn't take what would normally be his favorites and is still hunched up by this afternoon I'd definately have a chat with your Vet.

Zac can be really quite after his VHD vaccinations but it doesn't normally stop him eating his food and producing poos, although we know how differently all our bunns can react to stress, so might be worth watching incase your bunster gets gut slow down.

Sending a cuddle to little Skip.

Awwww hope Skips back to his cheeky self soon. It's horrible when they are not themselves. Keep us posted.

Update as I was unable to get on the forum....Skip has eaten a fair amount of hay but doesn't seem to have drunk anything so i have syringed him some water.

He seems more active now and is not as hunched up as he was....it's wierd though as he was fine last night and ate all his dinner with no problems.

Taking him to the vets would stress him even more so i will wait and see how he does 2night....only thing I'm really worried about is only a few poos have been done :cry:

i,d keep an eye on him tonight and then if you get the gut instinct that all is not well then i,d take him back tomorrow . Cheeky was always abit low for a day or two after his jabs .

Awww, I hope he feels better soon! Maybe he is just still stressed from the vets, even so, I would still keep an eye on him! Let us know how he is tomarrow xxxx

Skip seems better in himself as he is back to normal apart from the fact that he is still not interested in his excel!! :cry:

It's strange as he's eating hay fine but not his food. He ate one portion yesterday where he normally has breakfast and dinner but it seems to take him all day to eat a tiny bit.

Apart from this he seems fine today, running around etc and not hunched up like yesterday..
Any ideas anyone?

maybe he is just being a picky bloke and is looking for a change in food ;)

hope he starts to eat better again soon xx

Yeah that sounds about right :lol:

He is eating a bit of it now and then maybe he is still recovering from his dicky belly as i call it. I know when i feel sick all i wanna do is lie in bed and not eat.

I will see how he goes but hopefully he will be back to normal soon :angel:

Back