• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snuffles

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Need to know more info please, as he seems to be sneezing this morning and has a wet nose. He generally seems fine tho.

Many Thanks

Thanks alot for the Caz, i had alittle read thro, and its not looking too great really.

Has anyone else had this happen? Charlie has been booked in to see the vet on Thursday. :( :(

I had a rescue bun called Agido that had snuffles and after a month of baytril, the vet & I decided we would give her penicillin injections every 48hrs she had a total of 4 and it cleared up. Phill on here has now got her and as far as I know she is still doing ok. From mine and Phill's experiences we have found that stress can also make it flare up. Phill unfortunately has lost one of her buns to snuffles last week but her rabbits have been through a hell of a time as Phill as. Hopefully you may have caught it at the early stages, I would pm Phill and ask her for her advice.
Good Luck at the Vets and a big hug to Charlie.
Kay

Thanks Katie! :)

Well i'm really hoping i have caught it early if that is what he has, which i am pretty sure now to be honest by doing my research. I'm just hoping that its going to me cureable for him, and not having to keep taking medication for the rest of his life :(

I guess i'll find out on Thursday and i'll keep you posted.

But all the advice helps greatly.

Many Thanks,

Sarah-Jane

cheekybun took snuffles when he was 6 months old . He lived to 6 and a half years of age tho !! and yes during that time there were flare ups but they were controlled . It does not have to be a death sentence but will require careful nursing by you to be kept under control . Stress and stuffy living quarters can make the problem worse , and the most important thing I can say to you is to ensure that the bunnies food bowls , litter tray and drinking utensils are kept spotless . I used to wash cheekybuns bowls out twice a day along with his littertray and water bowl in milton steriliser , his bedroom and living qaurters were also hoovered twice daily and damp polished . He had the cleanest area in the whole house :shock: . I kept this up for 6 years .

snuffles is very hard to cure and if anything it can be controlled , once a bun has it - it has it for the whole of its life (usually) . Thing is tho , some vets told me he didn,t have it , others said he did . They were going to do a swab but sadly cheeky lost his fight before that. It was not the pasturella that got him tho , it was a combination of his teeth , the ops he had gone through and the vet said that his kidneys and liver were failing too . :(

Sooty and Lolly both have snuffles although Sooty is currently clear and Lolly still sneezes a bit. Both have had long term Baytril. Rabshan is very experienced with snuffles! PM her :D

Well, I took little Charlie to the vets today and told the vet about what i thought he had. He told me it's pretty common for rabbits to have. He has giving me some Baytril for him to take for the week, then i have to return next week to see how it has gone with him!

The vet gave him some earlyer and Charlie took it stright away without a fuss, so i thought it would be easy!!! But no, i tried earlyer on with him and he wasn't having any of it!! :( I think he managed to take some in the end tho.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to do it?

ManyThanks :)

If you can mix it with something he absolutely loves, he might eat it willingly. But Baytril tastes very bitter (accidentally got some in my mouth once, it really is as disgusting as the vets say!), so you'll need something that will disguise the taste.
If there's nothing he'll wolf down with the Baytril, you'll have to be cruel to be kind and syringe in straight into his mouth. Position the needle-less syringe just behind his front teeth and syringe it slowly into his mouth. He probably won't like it, but it's better than not knowing whether he go the whole dose or not, and if you mix it in his water he may stop drinking because of the foul taste.

Thanks alot.

Parsley is his favourite, so if i was to put it on that and he ate it that would be okay?

I think the problem that i was having was that i was trying to give him it stright into his mouth, when its easier to do it from the side?

Many Thanks

the vet told me that baytril actually has a liver taste to it , yyuuueeecccchhh! with cheekybun i would get the baytril in the syringe and then also pull up a little heinz babyfood (carrot and sweetcorn was his fave) , give it a little shake and then he would take it no bother . If you are giving the baytril oraly then aim into the side of the mouth (just behind the front teeth) never towards the back as he could choke on the liquid . Failing that then its a good idea to add to some food , strawberry , apple , pear , cucumber - parsley may not hold the liquid very well .its funny tho as cheeky would sit on the floor trying to break into the heinz baby food as he loved it . If I forgot and left it open next to him then he would try and fit his head into the tiny opening of the jar . ah bless my little boy . :love:

I am the expert on giving baytril to buns who either will not stay put or hate it. I find if you squirt the stuff between 2 cabbage leaves (cut up a bit so not too big) then they will happily eat it as a sandwich. For only one bun then you can squirt it over any food they are getting...something you know they will eat all of. Works every time and reduces everyones stress levels!!! :D :D :D

Hiya,

My bunnies have snuffles too. And finally the vet gave us some baytril for them. We had to give twice a day for 5 days to each (2 buns). I thought it would be really hard and the first day we (my bf and I) did it together...oneholding the other squirting. But that evening I had no choice but to do it on my own and i found it so much easier.

I've never been very good at picking up my buns, never had that much confidence (only had them since May-ish). But having to do it I just got on with it.

I held them like a baby, on thier back, and used my left hand to hold their feet. It also helped to wear a nice big coat...just seemed to hold them in place more. Then with right hand I'd squirt it in...the side of the mouth and this forces them to lick.

I'd take their fave treat out with me and give it to them straight after (carrot or brocolli).

By the end of the 5 days, eeyore was great, he just took it no problem.

Twiggy was a bit more difficult though and because she is a lot bigger she was stronger and escapes my grasp more easily.

She used to bite the syringe and try and grab it off me to toss away! lol

And then Twiggy would scrabble my leg and bite me when I let her go! She's so stroppy :) But she loves me now.

sorry for going on a bit.

aww - you have done well hondour - I'd be scared to death as a newbie
Thanks. We rescued our buns, but not knowing they had snuffles. They literally been sneezing since the day we got them and the vet said they've probably had snuffles all along. Makes me wonder if that was the reason they were given up? Or maybe they caught it at the rehoming place and the stress of the journey brought it out. But we love them to bits :)

hi

I'd like to know if anyone has noticed a link between snuffly bunnies and cigarette smoke? Does it aggravate it or make it worse for the bunny? Thanks if you can give me some info on this :)

without a doubt yes !!! i smoke but there is no smoking in my house or my mum and dads , you have to go outside , but when they had visitors a few years ago they smoked in the house , cheeky was running around and the next day his breathing and nose was alot worse . I made totally sure that i never smoked around him .

Back