• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my bunnies have really fallen out help please

jodi

Young Bun
my two lovely bonded have unboned themselves charlie my buck went to the vets for 4 days and his doe wasnt aloud to go with him now he is back i tried to introduce poopy and charlie back together an she turned on him and really attacked him
since then i have serperated them an been swapping them over into each others hutchs daily but poppy has sinces become aggresive to myself and myy partner aswell as charlie she is now just constantly grunting an snorting at him even though they are in serperate hutchs if he is n the room she gets so wound up
please help i dont want this marriage to end they made a lovely couple :(

It makes me so angry when vets don't let a rabbit's partner stay at the surgery with them. It has been proven that rabbits recover much better with their partner around.
It's about time vets learnt a bit about rabbit psychology - I see so many problems caused by vets giving bad advise like this. They may know the medical bits but so many don't have a clue what makes rabbits tick.
There are, of course, vets that do understand rabbit's needs.

I hope you manage to get your two back together - I'm sure you will in time.
As Katie said - are they both neutered?

They probably have to get used to eachother again, and being together. I know this happens a lot when you take one of the buns away, even for a day, and they get so sad and they un-bond.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be able to manage it!

i will do thanks for that i am new to the site only joined today i have put them in neutral ground now but that doesnt seem to have helped

Well then, welcome!! :wave:

If thats the case, I would start from the beginning, and do the same thing you did the first time you bonded them. This time hopefully it will be much easier though! Good luck and let us know how it is going!!!!

the only problem is i didnt bond them they were a bonded pair hen i got them from the rescue centre as charlie wont eat before he ws bonded with poppy i worried he will go back to his old ways well fingers crossed do i was told to put them in an empty bath tub together does this work.

hi

I think you should take bonding more slowly than this - just let them live next to each other for a week or 2 so they can sniff each other through the bars of the cage - Rushed bonding is very stressful for the rabbits, and if Charlie's just been poorly he needs to get his strength back.

We had the same when POlo was neutered. I kept him seperated from Toffee for a few days like the vet said (but in a next door cage). When they got back together Toffee was OK but got quite hormonal and nipped his neck. We took them back to the rescue they came from and on neutral territory they were fine as a pair again, but the nibbles continued! Now to my cost I realise the nibbles damaged Polo and it was because of one an abscess grew (see post Abscess)
We have now made the decision he is to be a solitary rabbit but inside so he has the kids and dog for company. I know it isn't the done thing but previously we had a beautiful Dutch rabbit called Mrs Bunny who lived in the garden (had the run of it before dog came along) She was alone for 9 wonderful years and because she had us I don't think she missed out on company.Others may disagree I realise but just be careful with rebonding, make sure it isn't rushed and Keep your beady eyes on the pair even when they look settled again! Good luck

the problem im having is that poppy is still getting very stressed and grunting an snorting when they are next to each other in different hutchs its not until he is completely out of they room until she calms down .

hi

I would put some of her poops from her litter tray in his tray and visa versa - she can have a good sniff at them then - and just let her grunt at him - she'll get over it if there's no chance of actually fighting - then that's stage one out of the way - Once she's ignoring him that's progress, so just let her grunt - Maybe try putting her cage facing a different direction to normal so she feels like it's a different situation? Or repaint one wall of the room so that it smells different?

i have been swapping them over into each others hutchs daily an she seems to protest for about an hour then she gives up she seems to have camed down a tad now i just hope we can rebond them they were a fab couple thanks for all the advice and help u are all real stars

Back