• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cocidiosis

Hope the spelling is ok!!!!
Is it possible for a rabbit who has had this to get it again??
Cleo has a very messy bottom, sloppyish poos which are very smelly, she is very lathergic and just lying around. We have cleaned up her bum and there is no nastys down there thank goodness and she is eating and drinking, she does drink quite alot for a small bunny.
Checked Sids bum much to his disgust, a towel was needed and i got grumbled at and his breathing went wheezy bless him, oooooooohhhhhhhhh the stress, how do you guys with lots of bunnies do this??????????????????????????????

i never had any experience of this but from what I know , i think there is .
hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge with give you advice tho .
poor cleo , hope she,ll be ok .

Hiya yes this infection can reoccur , as it is hard to eradicate from the environment.
I suggest getting some more treatment from your Vet and you will need to sterilise everything the bunny has come into contact with very carefully.
Looks like you need those rubber gloves handy :roll: .....we had a lot of trouble getting a guinea pig free of the infection, but it was the sterilisation of the area on a daily basis that finally overcome the bugs (and not just relying upon the vet treatment).
Hope this helps?

Best wishes and good luck, I am sure you can stamp the infection out :wink: :)

Drinking more water is a sign of the complaint, the treatment is supposed to suppress it so the rabbit builds up emunity to it.They are not supposed to get it again after they have recovered, i think u need to talk about this to your vet. val

Back